1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Add Hardware

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by mthkumudo, May 6, 2016.

1. mthkumudo

mthkumudo Established Techie7 Member

In the last week or so I have lost the ability to add software or hardware. When I put in a new software disc nothing comes up.
    mthkumudo

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hard to tell at this point but it sounds like autoplay stopped working. When you open Computer, and click on the DVD drive, do you see the disk then?

And note adding hardware is different. Are you saying Windows does not detect when you add new hardware?

3. mthkumudo

Digerati, Windows does not detect the new hardware. I noticed this when I tried to install a 4 port USB 2.0 hub. Yes, I see the disc but it won't go to autoplay. I then tried to install a CD that wold enable me to copy some music. That didn't work either.

4. Digerati

It is still hard to tell at this point if the problem is Windows, your USB ports, or the hub. Have you tried the hub on another computer? Most hubs require an external power connection. Are you sure the hub is getting power? Have you tried a different USB port.

If you can see the disk in the drive, then it sound like it is just an autoplay setting. Note that autoplay typically is (or should be) disabled by default. If enabled, you could get a disk a bad guy infected and corrupt your computer.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=change+windows+7+autoplay+options

5. mthkumudo

I could not get back to you. My computer crashed. I took it in for repair. The tech told me that the cost was gonna run about $160. So I bought a new one. Got it yesterday. Ir really is a thin server. What worries me is the DVD tray is vertical. I'm afraid that it might break. I gonna make four legs and lay it on the side. That way the fain will get circulation, at least the tech said I could. Digerati, thank you for all the assistance that you have always given me.
    mthkumudo

6. Digerati

I would not worry about the DVD. The only way it would break is if you banged it with your knee while the tray was open - and that could happen if horizontal or vertical. Lots of devices have the optical drive in the orientation - including many external drives. It saves desktop real estate. I don't see how laying it on its side would improve circulation either. I think the tech was just agreeing with you to make the sale.