1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I secure my subnetwork without effecting the entire network

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by Milton, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Milton

Milton Techie7 New Member

I have a modem downstairs and I want to set up a switch or a bridge connected network with a router upstairs (because there's no modem that sets up upstairs but there is a coax cable and my modem uses a coax cable) and I want to secure the network upstairs from the rest of the people in the household and I want to know how to go about doing this.

Should I just buy another modem and then purchase an AC router I want and set it up that way? If I go to the web interface of the router will I be able to block the connections from other users, and put mac filtering on it WITHTOUT changing the overall network connection from the modem since it will probably have the same SSID I believe. Or could I make a seperate SSID on the same network & then have my own subnetwork in my room?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

The modem is your "gateway" device to the Internet. You only need one unless you want to have (and pay for) two Internet connections from your ISP.

Understand routers are Ethernet (wired) only. There is no such thing as a "wireless router". What marketing weenies call a "wireless router" is really a router and WAP (wireless access point) integrated into the same box to save space and money. But they are really separate network devices. There typically is a 3rd device integrated into the same box too, a 4-port Ethernet switch. 1 box, 1 main circuit board, 1 power supply, 3 network devices.

Without really knowing your current network setup, it might be easier to just buy a separate WAP, or another wireless router and use it as a WAP. You can have multiple routers on the network, but it can be difficult to manage.

3. Milton

Milton Techie7 New Member

I have a modem/router all in one, I connect to this witlessly. However, upstairs (where I want to set up another router) I have a coax cable connector and everything but I don't want to pay for another modem. So there is no way I could use any wireless device to connect to the modem/router downstairs that I connect to wireless from upstairs? I also prefer it be,"difficult" to manage my router. I am studying network security as of last month and need to get hands on experience. Maybe I wasn't very specific in the question.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

The only time you use "coax" is the "one" input to your modem from the ISP. All network connections after that are via Ethernet, or wireless.
    As I said above, you can use a WAP or another wireless router used as a WAP.

When I said difficult to manage, I meant the entire network (everything on your side of the gateway device), not the router itself.

Not really sure what your objective is here. If you properly secure your computers (not hard) other users on your network are not going to be able to hack into your computer unless they have advanced hacking skills. And if that is the case, going through another WAP/router is only going to slow them down for a few seconds. Adding another WAP or router is not going to improve network performance.