1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer experiencing lag lately

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by ayemceee, Feb 16, 2016.

1. ayemceee

ayemceee Established Techie7 Member

I've had my tower for about 6 years now, and I can't afford to buy a new one just yet. Lately I've been experiencing some issues where the computer gets a bit laggy, sometimes my browser will lock up and display (Not Responding) at the top of the window.

Is there anything I can do to help the performance and make the computer run just a little bit smoother?

UPDATE 3/5/2016: I am now experiencing some more serious issues. Computer shut down and restarted in the middle of the night about two days ago, and I got a message about a SATA drive not found (I was half asleep when I saw this and just restarted the computer and all went back to normal). Today, I went out to run a quick errand and when I got back my computer was freezing up. I restarted it and on the "Starting Windows" screen, which normally shows up for about 10-15 seconds, was now just hanging there for a while. I let it stay there and after about 6-7 minutes, the computer finally started up. I found it weird that it may be taking so long to start up. Are there any tests I can run or programs I can use to check if there is anything behind this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Sadly, all we know is you are running W7. Is it fully updated otherwise? Have you scanned for malware? Have you cleaned out the clutter by running Windows Disk Cleanup? How much free disk space do you have?

3. ayemceee

Is it fully updated otherwise?

Yes. I installed important updates yesterday, and two optional today.

Have you scanned for malware?

Yes. I ran Malware Bytes a few times and no signs of anything bad.

Have you cleaned out the clutter by running Windows Disk Cleanup?

Can't believe I forgot that, will be doing so now.

How much free disk space do you have?

The computer's main hard drive is a 684 GB drive with 474 GB of free space. I use the main hard drive to store music and programs, and everything else (my main files, photos, text, etc) runs off an external hard drive with 132 GB of free space.

4. Digerati

Well, you have lots of free disk space so no problem there.

5. ayemceee

Updated initial post with current problems. Figured it was better than starting a whole new thread.

6. Digerati

Just replying to this one would have been fine.

So was it working fine over the last two weeks since your last reply?

You should run Error Checking or chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt on your disk. When prompted to let it check during the next reboot, follow the prompts to allow that, then reboot. Note that checking could take several hours and appear to be hung up. Just let it run.

You should also backup any data you don't want to lose ASAP.

ayemceee likes this.
  7. ayemceee

I am back again. I apologize for my long delay in replying, I had to take care of many personal things and was away from my computer for a while. I recently built a new computer running on Win10, was able to transfer over all my important files, and decided to finally run the "chkdsk" on my Win7 computer.

I did as you adviced, Digerati. But it seems like the check disk prompt has frozen completely. Yesterday, at around 4 PM, it stopped at "11 percent complete" and has been stuck there almost 24 hours later, without advancing any further. What do you advice I do now?

Edit: August, 22nd

The computer has made progress, it's at 48% now. I saw you saying it could appear to be frozen but didn't think it could freeze for a whole day. That's nuts. Will report back when it finishes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  8. Digerati

Where are we now? I realize it is taking a long time but at least it seems moving. I think the longest I have seen is over two days - but that was with a 2 TB disk that was definitely having problems. You also want to make sure the computer is not going to sleep on you instead of checking. So every time you walk by, press the space bar or wiggle the mouse.

9. ayemceee

Hey, just got home from work and saw that it's finished. Where do I go from here?

10. Digerati

You tell us. Is it working fine now? Is Windows fully updated now?

11. ayemceee

It was working. Few hours later it got the blue error screen once again.

12. Digerati

Blue screens are error screens. Did it have an error message? And not most blue screens are due to driver issues. So check Device Manager for any errors.

13. ayemceee

I didn't read the message, really tired and wasn't thinking about it. I checked under Device Manager and wasn't able to find the source of the error. Is there a specific way to go on about it?

I right clicked, clicked Properties on all things listed under Device Manager and wasn't able to pinpoint anything.

14. Digerati

15. texeon

texeon Established Techie7 Member

Hi Ayemceee,

I haven't been to this site in years but I remember Digerati giving me some help, I'm hoping I can return the favour for others here too!

In my opinion, the age of your computer makes me think that your hard drive has seen quite a bit of use, and I don't think it's unlikely that it's failing.

If I understand correctly from reading your posts you have:
    • Performed a successful check disk
    • Updated the computer to the latest drivers
    • Checked for and found no malware
    • Enough free disk space
    • Possibly performed a disk cleanup (not confirmed)
    Let's try and rule out whether or not any recent external interference has cause your hard drive some issues.

Have any of the following happened since the problem began:
    • You opened the computer to make modification/upgrades/check something/repair something/clean out dust or perform other 'spring cleaning'
    • Knocked it
    • Dropped the computer (case) while trying to move it
    • Dropped something hard onto the case of the computer
    • Had a power surge/cut or other sudden drastic change in power, even if it came up your phone line if you have ADSL internet
    • Have kids in the house who may have touched it
    • Have pets who may have bumped it
    • Noticed lots of dust/grime/buildup inside the case of the computer
    I ask this because if the hard drive isn't failing from age/use it could have been some other occurrence that may have damaged the drive.

I'd be interested in seeing if event viewer outlines a bad driver following an update?

I have a few things in mind that we can try to do further troubleshooting, but it'd help if you could answer the above questions and then follow Digerati's advice with event viewer!

Cheers :)