1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cursor disappearing and typing field no longer selected

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by rudimentaryfoot, Dec 31, 2015.

1. rudimentaryfoot

rudimentaryfoot Established Techie7 Member

Typing has become infuriating. Internet, microsoft office programs, even just the search bar when i press the start icon. Whenever i tey to type anywhere i must reclick with the mouse on the typing field, often multiple times, every second or 2 just to type a sentence. Also the computer will at times randomly shut down with a blue screen and an error message that disappears too quickly for me to copy down or capture. I had a thread in the malware forum and broni said the computer is clean and suggested i come here. Any help would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance to anyone who has ideas

2. rudimentaryfoot

Computer runs windows 7 home premium by the way

3. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

Is this a laptop?

I recently (a month or so ago) had a problem where a Windows Update changed the touchpad driver (without asking permission) from the laptops dedicated driver to a generic Microsoft driver.

Gave some weird problems with typing; because the balls of my thumbs were catching the touchpad as I was typing and so kept moving the cursor to a different field or even a different window.
    When I realised what had happened I reinstalled the dedicated driver and reset the touchpad delay settings.

Having said that it would not seem to explain the BSOD though.
    Loose wire / bad connection?
    You may need to take the case off and have a look round for anything obvious.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Any errors in Device Manager? Have you tried a different mouse?

Please provide your system specs. And do you know what your temps are?

5. rudimentaryfoot

the coputer is a laptop. no issues are showing up in the device manager. i have tried plugging in a different mouse and have same results. the laptop is a dell inspiron 1545 with pentium dual core. 4G RAM and 64 bit os. also @nukecad it doesnt show any updates for drivers in the last 12 months.

6. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

As it is a laptop then I would still check the touchpad settings, the update that changed mine was not shown as a driver update either (MS just did it as part of another update), or something else may have inadvertently changed the delay setting.

7. Digerati

Except he said it did it with a different mouse too. So that would rule out the touchpad settings.

Did this problem suddenly start? If so, you might try rolling back to System Restore point before the problem started. This problem of the mouse "loosing focus" has been reported by many others - with no set solution, unfortunately. But is often caused by some other program running in the background that steals focus. So you might try checking to see what have starting with Windows and disabling them (except your security programs) to see if problem goes away.

8. rudimentaryfoot

i will try to look into that but when i open task manager it only shows"google chrome fo example or whatever program i am actually using. how can i see what lse might be going on that would steal the focus from what im doing?

9. rudimentaryfoot

couldn't really identify tasks ongoing that were creating a prblem. used system restore but was only available back to dec 27 which i know is not whatwe were set for. this is not my computer but was brough to me a while ago with sismilar issues and i set restore points to happen regularly. the 27this the earliest point. also many things have com up when i restored to then..."task object recovery task; the task image is corrupt or has beeen tampered with, task media center recovery task, same; task mcupdate_scheduled, sam;task mcupdate, same; taskinstall play ready,same; task ehdrminit, same; task dispatch recovery tasks, same; task configure time internet time service, same; task activate windos searce, same; task hotstart, same; task background config survyor, same; task rac task, same; task system data providrs, same;task session agent, same;task gadget manager, same;task ip addres conflict 2, same;and conflict 1

10. rudimentaryfoot

this thing will not let me restore before christmas and i dont know what else to do to make it function as it should

11. Digerati

You might check out WinPatrol. While the PLUS version is one of the very few security programs that cost money that I ever recommend, the Free version will identify which programs start with Windows and allow you to remove disable them at startup.