1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to do a clean install of Windows 7 Professional

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by dhwms, Nov 26, 2015.

1. dhwms

dhwms Established Techie7 Member

Unfortunately I got the same results . The operating system is not being completely installed. The screen goes black and when I try to restart the computer in safe mode I get the error message "Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode. To continue installing windows restart the computer." I believe there is a BIOS, MBR or a hardware problem. I have attempted to install the operating system using a genuine OEM disk that I used successfully in 2010. I have also tried using another genuine OEM disk getting the same results. So if it is not a software problem could it be that the computer is not making the final restart which allows the installation to be completed? What part of the computer shut downs the operating system and turns the power off so that the computer reboots? This is not happening. In this final restart the screen goes black, hard drive activity stops but the power remains on.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I would not try safe mode. That prevents many drivers from loading.

I am not sure what else to suggest. If you can't even re-install an older version of Windows with a disk you used successfully before, then clearly something odd is wrong.

Then reset the BIOS and try again. Trying a different hard drive would address the MBR possibility. As for hardware, not much else but the motherboard, drive, graphics (if card) or RAM.

3. dhwms

To eliminate the hardware, I installed an XP Pro operating system that works great. If I remember correctly, there is a difference between the XP and Windows 7 MBR. Is it possible that all of the restarts involved during the installation are being done with something other than the MBR? If the MBR is involved with the final reboot and it is corrupt then that may be the problem. The final restart/reboot is where the problem occurs. I have try to do some work on the MBR but there is one line that seems to be missing that I can not get fixed.

This is what I received from my doctor who is also my son.
    "You have a renal oncocytoma, which is relatively uncommon, accounting for approximately 3 to 7 percent of all renal tumors. They almost invariably behave in a benign fashion, but should be monitored and treated if there is evidence of rapid growth."
    This is really extremely good news!
    Love,

Brandon

4. Digerati

That does not eliminate the hardware. If it did, you would not need operating specific drivers. And the master boot record is a function of the file system. And while modern operating systems use some additional information stored in the MBR, the MBR is created during partitioning of the disk and that is really independent of the OS.

Glad to hear your medical status good.

5. mcafeesupport

mcafeesupport Techie7 New Member

Ok it seems to be that you got your problem resolved, If you still having the problems installing a fresh copy of your windows 7 you can ask again.......

McAfeeTechSupport Guy
    mcafeesupportnumber.net

6. dhwms

I do not have my problem resolved. I think I have a problem with the Master Boot Record that is not allowing the computer to do the final restart to finish the installation of the Windows software. The computer originally had Windows XP pro installed before I installed Windows 7 in 2009. The best that I can recall I had to repair the Master Boot Record at that time. I have been trying manually to replace/repair the Master Boot Record without much success. Could anyone recommend software that will fix the Master Boot Record?

7. dhwms

After I attempt to do a clean install of Windows 7, I use the command prompt function and enter bootrec /rebuildbcd. This shows windows installations:0 , which means that the BCD needs to be rebuilt.

8. Digerati

You've removed all partition and did a full format. That will create a new MBR.

I would try a different drive.

9. dhwms

I have tried at least three different NEW hard drives. I get the same results with all of the different hard drives. I have tried the original Windows 7 Professional OEM disk that I used in 2009. I have tried two other Windows 7 OEM disk, one a Windows 7 Professional and one a Windows 7 Home. All have been 64 bits software. The installation does one restart and continues until it gets to "Starting Services" and that screen stays on for about one minute and the screen goes black. The hard drive light indicates hard drive activity for about one minute, the hard drive light goes out . The power light remains on. Does the installation handle the first restart and then turn any additional restarts over to the MBR? It seems as the restart after "starting services" is where the problem occurs. To rule out any computer problems , I installed Windows XP Professional which 7ran fine. Did the format of the hard drive get rid of all of the XP boot records? I assume that the XP MBR are different from Window 7 MBR. Are the OEM disk only good for one install and will not allow for a reinstall on the original computer?

10. dhwms

The installation fails and I turn the power off and back on. I get a Windows Error Recovery screen with the following message "Windows did not shutdown successfully". I then try starting the computer in Safe Mode and get the message " Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows restart the computer". What would cause a shut down problem in Windows? So the error in shutting down is causing the installation not to complete.

11. Digerati

If you have tried 3 different new hard drives and it does not work with any of them, then the only thing I can suggest is to update the BIOS. If these are large HDs, you may have to partition the drive into smaller partitions in a different computer. If still no good, then the drive controller may be bad and it is just time to upgrade to a new computer

12. dhwms

I have a question in regards to updating the BIOS. My motherboard is an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe. The BIOS version that is presently on the computer shows to be version 1008. On the ASUS website Windows 7 is not shown as an operating system for this motherboard as it was manufactured before Windows 7 was released. Windows XP 64bit is shown as an operating system. I had XP 64bit installed before installing Windows 7. The website shows several versions which include 1008 and version 1009. Would it be advisable to use version 1008 or version 1009?

13. Digerati

Do you have a link to this download page? For some reason, I cannot find that board.

That said, I generally don't recommend updating the BIOS unless the new version addresses a problem I am having. Most updates just add support for new hardware that came out since the board was released.

14. dhwms

The only reason that I would consider do an update is that I read someplace that a virus could corrupt the BIOS. There is one thing that keeps bothering me. I loaded Windows XP Professional software that was installed on the computer before I installed Windows 7 and the computer seemed to run normal except I got an message about a driver missing. You mentioned about a possible driver problem. I normally make a clone of the hard drive when I built a new computer and I feel like there is a cloned hard drive in storage. I will be going to my house in west Tennessee in a couple of weeks and I will see if I find the clone hard drive. Try this link
    http://www.asus.com/supportonly/A8N-SLI Premium/HelpDesk_Download/

15. Digerati

BIOS malware is very rare and even harder to actually infect/corrupt a computer. If I were going to update the BIOS, I would get the latest, which is 1303.

Note the problem with cloned disks is they have all the old drivers and if any malware, the malware too.

16. dhwms

Thanks...
    I am hoping that I can find the clone of the hard drive that I made when I installed Windows 7 back in 2010. If that does not fix the problem I am going to reinstall Windows XP Pro and investigate the missing driver.

17. PcTestCard.com

PcTestCard.com Established Techie7 Member

Removed content.

@PcTestCard.com - Please check timestamps before posting replies. This thread has been dormant for 7 months. The OP is long gone.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016