1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to do a clean install of Windows 7 Professional

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by dhwms, Nov 26, 2015.

1. dhwms

dhwms Established Techie7 Member

Using the Windows 7 disc that I installed the operating system earlier, I have been trying to do a clean install without success. The process of installing the software goes normal until I get the "Completing installation". After a couple of minutes suddenly the screen goes black. I have tried to install the new system 5 times with the same results.
    Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not sure what is wrong but I might suggest you do a full format of the disk before trying to install it again.

3. dhwms

I am presently doing a full format of the hard drive. Could there be a internet connection to Microsoft required before the installation is complete? I am not sure that I had internet connection.

4. dhwms

I decided to use a different hard drive which I formatted before trying to install the operating system. I got the same results. Everything seem to be normal until the "completing installation" and after a couple of minutes the screen goes black. When this happens the hard drives seems to stop running but the green power light stays on. Could there be a problem with the motherboard? I am going to see if I can install a XP operating system.

5. dhwms

I was able to install a Windows XP Pro operating system which seems to perform normal. Is there a possibility that the BIOS has got some kind of a problem? Would the BIOS settings be the same for XP and 7? When I try to install the Windows 7 Professional 64bit software, I can only delete the partions. Should I format the hard drive using another computer? I really do not need another computer running XP or a boat anchor.

6. Digerati

Is this a genuine "retail" or "new" and "unbranded" OEM Windows installation disk?

7. dhwms

This is a OEM System Builder Pack which I purchased and built the computer early 2010. This is original software to the computer that I am having problems with. I have also tried installing the operating system using a OEM System Builder pack which I purchased to build a computer mid year 2014. The results have been the same.

8. Digerati

Okay. That's fine. As long as it was purchased for this computer, it is legal to do so, and as long as it is not "branded" by Dell, HP, or some other company as they will look for a Dell, HP, etc. "branded" motherboard/BIOS during installation.

If this motherboard has UEFI bios (not very popular in 2010 yet), it could have Secure Boot enabled that is blocking this. This is a security feature to prevent badguys from attaching another drive to the system, then hack into your data. But can cause problems if you want to reinstall Windows. You can try resetting the BIOS, set date and time, then try again.

If me, since you have a different computer, I would attach this drive to a second computer, or install it into the second computer as a secondary drive (not boot), then delete your partitions then setup your partition (or partitions) again. Then do a "full" format (not "quick").

Then return this drive back to the machine you are trying to reinstall Windows on. I would probably reset the BIOS - just because - then try to reinstall Windows.

If it fails again, I would suspect the hard drive - even though if the drive was bad, format should have failed or indicated a bunch of errors.

9. dhwms

The software is not branded. I will check on the UEFI bios . I replaced the CMOS battery and reset the time and date. Would that be considered resetting the BIOS? I have never had to fool with the BIOS on a computer and am very dumb on how it works. I ordered a new hard drive. I will hook it up to a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate and set up the partitions and do a full format. I will let you know the results.
    I really appreciate your help.

10. Digerati

Yes. Removing the battery resets the user defined settings in the BIOS back to the factory defaults.

I hope the new drive does it. Keep us posted.

11. dhwms

Sorry to be so late getting back. I ordered a new hard drive and before it arrived, I hurt my hand and spent the next seven days in the hospital on antibodies with a bad case of streptococcal skin infection. During the MRI, Cat Scans,Ultra sounds and echo cardiogram a mass was discovered on my right kidney. I am to have biopsy next Tuesday to determine the next step. Now to my computer problem. I used another computer to initialize and format the new hard drive. I installed the new hard drive in the computer that I am having a problem with. Using the Genuine OEM System Builder Pack that I purchased and used to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating system during December 2009 on the computer that I had built. The following is the events that occur during my attempt to load the operating system:
    Copying windows files
    Expanding windows files
    Installing features
    Installing updates
    Completing installation

Computer restarts
    Setup is updating registry settings
    Setup is starting services

The computer goes back to "completing installation" with about one minute of hard drive activity and screen goes black. This is the same results that I have gotten about seven times.
    The original problem that caused the computer to stop booting up was that when I tried shutting it down t it went through the normal process but the power(green light) stayed on and it would not boot up.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

12. Digerati

Wow, sorry to hear about all your health problems. It sounds like if you had not hurt your hand, they would not have discovered the mass on your kidney. Funny how things works.

Sorry too about your drive not resolving this. If me, I would reset the BIOS, disconnect everything not needed (extra drives, network connection, printers, etc.) then re-format and try to install again. Then it seems to work, connect to the network and go from there.

13. dhwms

I had the same thoughts.....the infection may have saved my life.
    Using a Windows 7 repair disc, I ran the startup repair and the diagnosis and repair details shows "Boot manager is missing or corrupt".
    Could this cause the new operating system not to boot up after the installation? Using a computer with XP Professional, I have deleted the paritions and formatted the new hard drive again. The new hard drive is a 160 Gbytes and shows to have one parition of 149.05 NTFS. Using a "disc repair" disc should I fix the Master Boot Record before attempting another install of the operating system?

14. dhwms

I think I got the Master boot record issue eliminated from the reasons the computer will not boot up. I found several good discussions on how to fix issues with the master boot record. I used the Bootrec.exe tool and performed all of the steps . The diagnosis and repair details show that all of the test were completed successfully. Error code=0x0 except for the last test titled "root cause found" which shows "Failure while setup is in progress." The session details are shown three times. The last session details shows "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully. However when I try to bootup the computer, I have a screen that states "Starting Windows" which is replaced with "setup is starting services" and after a few seconds the screen goes black. I only have one hardrive and one CD/DVD rom installed. I have also tried booting up in "safe mode" without any success.

15. dhwms

I removed the hard drive from the computer and installed it in another computer running XP as a slave drive. Disk Management shows the hard drive as being NTFS Healthy active with 149.05 GB NTFS. Windows explorer shows the following folders on the hard drive: $WINDOWS.~BT, $WINDOWS.~LS, Perlogs, Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, Users, Windows. The folder for ProgramData is not as dark as the other folders. Any suggestions???

16. Digerati

With this drive as a secondary drive, ensure there is only a single partition, then do a "full" (not Quick) format (it could take a couple hours or longer to complete) after which you should only see a System Volume Information folder.

17. dhwms

I deleted the partitions and formatted the drive giving it the new name of F. The computer that I am using is running XP Home addition. I have been able to locate the "System Volume Information Folder" but it shows to be empty.
    Disk Management shows New Volume (F) as having 149.05GB NTFS Healthy with only one partition.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  18. dhwms

This is the process that I used to find the System Volume Information Folder.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition Using the FAT32 File System

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
    4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it. When I place the cursor over the folder it shows it to be empty. When I right click the folder it shows access to the folder is denied. Does this mean that I can not format the drive using a XP Home operating system

19. Digerati

System Volume Information should be empty - in fact, it is normal for access to be denied when trying to access it. If that is the only folder after you format, then it sounds like the format was successful. If you want to check the drive now, open an elevated (run as administrator) command prompt, and from that drive, enter: chkdsk /r - note the space before the /.

20. dhwms

I ran the chkdsk /r on the newly formatted hard drive . There were no problems found.
    I will make another attempt to load window 7.