1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocking Mailchimp

Discussion in 'Desktop / Server Applications' started by Davidjp, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Davidjp

Davidjp Established Techie7 Member

Does anyone know how to block all mail that is sent via Mailchimp? As far as I am concerned it is just a way of getting around spam filters. I am finding that 99% of mails through this service are unsolicited and unwanted.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Sadly, you told us nothing to go on. What mail service do you use? What email client are you using? Are you using a spam blocker?

For example, if using Gmail, you can create a filter to dump all mail from them into the trash. If you are using Outlook on your computer, you can create a rule to automatically delete their mail. If using a spamblocker, you typically can create a rule or filter that marks it as spam.

3. Davidjp

Good point.

I'm using Outlook 2013, W10 Pro. McAfee Net Plus Security with spam filter, plus High in Outlook junk mail options.

The problem with mailchimp is that it is designed to fool spam filters and changes the sender with every email, so filtering doesn't help. Nor does marking it as junk because the email address won't be used again. I think it is manna from heaven for spammers and I don't see an easy way of stopping it.

4. Digerati

From what I am reading, Mailchimp is a legitimate email marketing service and according to this page, suggests that you signed up for such emails at some point in the past as the senders are able to send "absolute proof of opt-in". In other words, technically, it is not spam because at some point you (or someone using your email address) said you wanted it. :(

There should be a "one-click" unsubscribe link in every "campaign" that is supposed to take you off the sender's list - this apparently is a Mailchimp requirement these "email marketers" must adhere to if they want to use Mailchimp's service.

If you have clicked on these unsubscribed links and are still getting emails for the same product, report it to:
    http://mailchimp.com/contact/abuse/

Through that link you can report the campaign. I note you don't even have to include your name or email address so that gives me some comfort the abuse reporting process is not just a scam to get your email address.

What you might end up doing with your spam filter is creating a "white list", that is, a list of your friends and contacts that your spam blocker automatically recognizes as legitimate. Alternatively use filters to let your good mail through instead of trying to create filters to block the bad.

Davidjp likes this.
  5. Davidjp

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

These usually come from obscure senders that I don't recognise (except 1 that I did subscribe to and which uses the same sender detail every time) and I move them to the junk folder straight away .

I will check them from the junk folder and if they are via mailchimp I will use the unsubscribe option and monitor whether I continue to receive them.

Thanks for your help.

6. Digerati

Do note I don't normally recommend checking the unsubscribe option in any spam as that typically just tells the spammer your email address is legit and you end up getting even more spam. :mad:

But again, Mailchimp appears to be a legitimate direct marketing service (that is, their emails are not used to send malware or trick you into revealing your bank account info) so hopefully their opt-out options are legit too.

Good luck and keep us posted.