1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer starts up then shuts down when it's loading Windows

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by norman, Aug 15, 2015.

1. norman

norman Established Techie7 Member

OS is Vista Home 64

This computer is a fellow worker of mine who said he was online shopping at Ebay when his computer crashed.

So, I am currently working on a computer issue that is, starts up and then shut down right as it's loading the OS then it will try and try but sometimes it don't even make it to the loading OS screen.

Here is what I have done so far, checked the power supply with a mulit-meter things look good, then I put a new thermal compound on his cup/heat sink.

Note* the power button doesn't work all the time unless you take off cover and push back on the button in order for it to work. This has been broken for a long time according to him so I don't know if that's the issue or not?

My thoughts are leaning towards the power supply.

2. norman

I removed the CMOS battery for about 1 hr and when I replaced it back the BIOS started up (normal) but now the computer stays running but after I hit F10 and save, it don't load to windows now.

3. norman

I tried this morning and we are back to this, tries to start then shuts down, tries to start then shuts down,, etc.

4. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

Sounds like a POST (power on self test) problem.

Are you getting any sequence of beeps ? These can indicate what is causing the problem.
    You can find the sequences and what they mean online.

Does sound like that dodgy power button though, I would replace it and check the wiring and connections.
    If its moving about like you say it could easily have broken a soldered joint, giving a poor or intermitent connection.

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

The power button is really a simple device that rarely breaks unless physically abused. To test it, you can short the two pin the buttons wires go to - if you have a stead hand. Or you can swap it (its wires to the motherboard) with the reset button's wires.

But I would try another PSU before messing with anything else.

And for the record, TIM (thermal interface material) does not wear out or need regular replacing and will last 10, 15 years or longer AS LONG AS the cured bond between the CPU and heatsink is not broken. There is actually a greater risk of damage to the socket or CPU through ESD is mishandling when cleaning and applying a new layer of TIM. I hope you unplugged the computer from the wall and touched bare metal of the case interior before reaching in.

Sadly there is a misconception and myth that TIM needs regular replacing. That is totally false.

And also FTR, to reset the BIOS, you need only remove the battery for 30 seconds or so. The circuit is designed to instantly dump any stored data when the voltage is removed. No harm waiting an hour but not needed. That said, I generally say to just replace the battery since they are inexpensive so a small loss if not the problem. While those batteries are supposed to last at least 3 years, they can fail early and I have had bad ones right out of the package. And when removing and replacing these batteries, you need to unplug and touch bare metal before reaching in too.

6. norman

Good food for thought, thanks Digerati. Okay, I went to Bestbuy and got a new PSU hooked everything up still getting this;

Loads to "hit del for setup, tab to rest BIOS," then MB reading with the keyboard/interface error hit F1 to continue (I believe it's because I am using USB not PS2 port) I hit F1 black screen, shutdowns and tries to restart.

Okay my thoughts now are; If the OS is corrupt wouldn't I get a messages like, can't find OS? If the MB was bad it wouldn't load the information on the screen? I think I can rule out PSU for sure and CPU, MB are mostly fine and my problem lays with OS?

7. norman

Hey Nukecad, thanks for a reply. There is no beeps and it stops just after you see the MB information which tells you everything it has found. I was wonder why there wasn't any beeps because even after a good BIOS there is usually one beeps then it starts to load the OS.

As far as the button is goes it has one connector that connects onto the MB unlike mine that has separate plugs where you have to plug each one where that belong on the MB.

I wish I could tell you what model this computer is because the cover that is for the DVD drive is missing. I can tell you that it's an ASUS desktop that is dual-core CPU and it has Vista on it.

8. norman

9. Digerati

The OS is not even touched until way into the boot process and the motherboard passes POST (power on self test). Then the system looks for the boot drive and starts to load the OS. You are not getting that far.

Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced? Being a Vista machine, I suspect it has a few years on it. The batteries are not expensive so little harm financially if not the problem.

Sorry you had to buy a PSU. I was hoping you could just borrow one for a quick test. But power needed to be eliminated from the equation and you did that.

Sadly, I am suspecting the motherboard now but I would try a new battery.

10. norman

Np Digerati, I am going to keep this new PSU around just in case I need one around. No, I doubt the CMOS battery has ever been replaced. I will get one and post my finding.

I am leaning that was as well Digerati (MB).

11. Digerati

I personally think it is smart to have a spare PSU handy so I am with you there. And if you get a PSU Tester, you can use the spare PSU to test fans and drive motors too.

For the battery, just remember to unplug from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior before reaching in . And don't touch the new battery with your bare fingers. Skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean sock over my hand.

Boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu, set your data and time, verify drive boot order is correct then Save and Exit.

12. norman

Gotcha, when you say, "drive boot order" you mean select CD-ROM as #1 then HD #2?

13. norman

After replacing battery and saved setting in BIOS still don't get to the POST. MB is #1 on list of possible damage now?

14. norman

Here is what I am looking at as far as replacement parts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128536

(Only 3 out of 5 eggs as far as feed back goes and I just hope I don't run into any of those issues. I did select a 2 yr warranty as well for only $12 more.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

(Had to upgrade the memory due to trying to find a good MB that is DDR2 and this pair of memory isn't all that $)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

(upgrade on new case)

So total is around $190. Next step is see if co-worker is okay with that.

Here are my concerns and thoughts on the above parts.

1. I really am nervous about the bad reviews on this MB.
    2. There wasn't a lot of MB to choose from because of the age of CPU.
    3. Up grading to a whole different CPU/MB/Memory might be the safer of these above parts as well.

15. Digerati

Sadly, when it comes to replacing computer parts, you can replace everything inside a computer as many times as you want without having to worry about a new Windows license EXCEPT the motherboard. A new motherboard is considered a new computer and therefore requires a new license.

There are only two exceptions. (1) If your current license is a full retail license but the vast majority are OEM. And (2) if you are replacing the motherboard as part of a repair action because the first motherboard failed. BUT it must be the exact same brand and model board (or suggested "equivalent" board by the same maker if original board is no longer available). That is, you cannot "upgrade" the board in the process of a repair and use the same license - legally.

And understand if you call Microsoft and don't tell them it is a new and/or upgraded motherboard, that is fraud by deception, a serious criminal offense - the same as stealing. While you can probably get away with it, it is not right and not really worth the risk.

16. norman

So let me get this clear, every time you build a new computer or upgrade a MB you must buy a new OS unless you have multi-license?

17. Digerati

Not a "multi-license" but a "full retail" license. Only full retail licenses can "legally" be transferred to another computer.

If your license is an OEM/System Builders license, which the vast majority are, they are inextricably tied to the "o"riginal "e"quipment. So if your current license came pre-installed on a factory built computer, or you purchased an OEM/System builders license for and installed it on another computer, the license is tied that computer and cannot be legally transferred.

That is one main reason OEM licenses are cheaper - that and the requirement for the system builder to provide 1 year Windows tech support instead of Microsoft.

And note when you first fired up the computer, and decided to keep using it, you agreed to the terms of the license so that makes it legally binding.

That said, things have changed a bit with W10 and computers built for personal use must use a full retail license so with W10, when you buy a new license for your personal builds, you will be able to transfer it to a new computer as many times as you like, as long as you uninstall it from any previous computer.

Note that does NOT apply to Windows 10 upgrades. That is because upgrade licenses are inextricably tied to the authorizing version/license (W7 or W8) that was previously installed on the computer, and again that W7/W8 license is most likely OEM too.

18. norman

Is Windows 10 out there to buy?

19. norman

Anyhow, I talked with the co-worker and his wife wants a second option before they make a decision on new computer or not. The last thing the computer did after I replaced the battery was, load the BIOS and I changed date/time then saved and exited VGA appeared on monitor for a sec and then nothing as usual.

20. Digerati

Sure.