1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hp 8600 loses wireless

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by cyberwasp, Jul 7, 2015.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

for the last 4 years my hp 8600 printer has been wirelessly connected to my router. over the past 2 months when I go to print it either prints or does nothing. However the printer wireless icon says it is connected but if I go into devices and printers, it says "not connected. I either have to reset the printer via pulling the plug or using the wps button on the router.

I've also tried setting a static ip but that only lasted a week.

Recently I upgraded my cell phone and downloaded an app that finds wireless ap. It says my router is producing a signal strength of -30 dBm. TIA

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Did the problem start right after the new cell phone?

Have you changed other settings or added any new networked attached devices? Don't forget things like smart TVs or Blu-ray players (and your new phone).

Have you have any power outages? I ask this because I have experienced problems in the past where my IP assignments switched around after power was restored and I had to go into my printer properties in Windows and change to the new IP address.

3. cyberwasp

Started before new cell phone. no new device attached, "wired or wireless." No power outages," even though both are in a ups." Have a blue ray but that has been attached via wireless for over year and only for updates

4. Digerati

Yes, but that does not mean it has not changed IP assignments. Is your network equipment on one of the UPS? Is the BR on an UPS?

Has the orientation of the wireless router (or external antennas if not internal) changed?

Other than that, if your other wireless devices are having no problems, I have no explanation other than to say the printer's wireless at fault. You might check HP for firmware updates. Or, if it supports Ethernet, use that.

5. cyberwasp

The ubee router, BR? "printer," pc, monitor are all on the ups. The router is on the desk with the pc, printer, monitor. Antenna orientation is the same. I even made sure they were tight. I tried running it wired awhile back but again it lost it.

Am beginning to think my router is haunted

6. Digerati

BR = Blu-ray.

If your printer loses connection when connected via Ethernet or wireless, and none of your other devices lose connection, I sure don't see why you would suspect the router. It sounds like the printer to me.

7. cyberwasp

Digerati. Thought I'd update you. Turned out to be the wireless modem/router from cable company. Swapped it out and the printer works every time. hasen't needed a reset yet.

8. Digerati

Great! Glad it got sorted and thanks for posting the followup.