1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple concerns: Core number and Beeping

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by deviantdigi, Jun 18, 2015.

1. deviantdigi

deviantdigi Established Techie7 Member

Greetings,
    I have two concerns with my computer I was hoping to run by you guys. The machine is and has been working great, but it has some symptoms that I'm not sure if are problematic. Awhile back I upgraded the cpu from an Phenom II to a AMD FX-6300. Therefore I also had to upgrade the mobo to a Gigabyte UD3. Fresh install. Then overclocked the cpu and it has been solid as a rock at this frequency.

OS: Windows 7 x64 Professional (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)
    CPU: AMD FX 6300 x6 core @ 4.5Ghz overclocked (Hyper 212 cooler)
    RAM: 8 GB
    GPU: R9 270x (2 GB I think. Its fine :])

1. The task manager shows x4 graphs or 4 cores. Msconfig>Adv. Boot shows 4 cores. But I rechecked to make sure I unlocked ALL in the Bios - and I did and do. :D (Also I have the turbo feature disabled.) Showing 6 cores in the Bios.

Then I stumbled upon this:
    "Q: Is it possible to unlock disabled cores on the AMD FX-6300 CPU?
    A: No. This processor does have 2 disabled cores, but there is no way to unlock them."
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-6300.html

So what does that mean exactly? AMD just tags on two cores to the processor for a exciting description or something? Seems like a waste to me. I'm happy with the performance I get right now. But this confuses me. I'd like x6 AMD?

2. When I turn on the PC from an off state. The fans spin up, then off. Then up again and there is a single Beep. then it boot to the OS like normal. If anyone has any insight on that.

Many thanks!
    -dev

2. deviantdigi

Update, I may have fixed #1 & a part of #2. :D

This was done by leaving the box unticked in msconfig (as described above)
    [​IMG]

#2 I don't receive a beep after disabling a cpu power saving setting. Although it still powers up, then down, then up again.

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Understand, in effect, a new motherboard is a brand new computer.

I keep reading all sorts of explanations but I believe this is due to what is sometimes called "product binning". It is a common manufacturing technique that I first learned about way back when 5 1/4 inch floppy disks were the home users primary storage devices.

Floppy disks were all manufactured as DSDD - double sided, double density. Then they were tested at the factory to make sure they met the specs required for DSDD. But because of impurities in the raw materials, or some flaw in the manufacturing, maybe they failed density tests. But instead of tossing them in the trash bin, they would be relabeled and sold as DSSD - double sided, single density. Of if one side failed, maybe SSDD -single sided, double density. This allowed the makers to avoid a total loss and still make some profit.

Hard drive and RAM makers have been doing the same thing. If RAM for example, fails to run at 2100MHz, instead of throwing it away for a total loss, they market and sell it as 1600MHz RAM at a cheaper cost.

With this CPU, I suspect the plan during manufacturing was to make an 8-core CPU. Perhaps the 8-Core 4GHz FX-8350 but it could not rigorous pass in-house testing with all 8 cores so they lock two cores and market it as FX-6300 6-core that supports decent overclocking. So they still make some profit, just not quite as much. And definitely not a total loss - which would be very bad for business, and share-holders.

This is not being sneaky or deceitful. If is simply good business and used in many different industries. And it does NOT suggest your remaining 6 cores are defective, or inferior.

FTR, I generally don't mess with MSCONFIG settings. MSCONFIG is really a testing and diagnostics tool to make "temporary" changes during troubleshooting. So I generally leave settings at their defaults.

Not sure about your beep. Assuming you mean the expected 1 beep at boot to signal the system passed POST (power on self-text), I don't know why you don't get one beep (or some other beep code) now when you used to get one. Are you sure you did not disable the beep in the BIOS Setup Menu? Maybe the integrated speaker died or if using a case speaker, the wire came loose. Not sure, but if it boots completely, I would not worry about it.

4. deviantdigi

Thanks for the explanation :D I see what they mean about the two disabled cores now. I thought since I was only seeing 4 cores, and it's supposed to show 6. Nonetheless, doesn't apply to this problem.

But I should have noted that I didn't receive a POST, or any beep for that matter, before overclocking. It's gone! Don't fix it if it's not broken sorta thing.

What about the power up and down routine though?

5. Digerati

That is odd. When the fans spin up, then off, how long does that take? I'm wondering if they spin due to initial power, then off and back on again as the speed controllers take over.

6. deviantdigi

The beep is back :S

PSU btw: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/gs800w. Bought new last year. For what it's worth there are x6 120 mm fans. x3 on fan controller.

Excuse the crappy audio in some parts, the camera app on my phone has been giving me some strange issues.

7. Digerati

Well, I am not sure what I was looking at but it seemed to boot up fairly quickly.

8. deviantdigi

You don't see the symptom I described? It's obvious even through 0:00 through 0:07.

I press the power button, it powers on, then shuts off - automatically :D Then back on. I clearly showed it do that twice in the video. The middle of the video is me trying to release the residual power in the system and it didn't do anything. Which is strange.

I've done many hardware tests and tried different parts. I keep spares to troubleshoot issues like this. But I don't want to share my results just as of yet as the problem is still there and they weren't suggested as of yet.

9. Digerati

It is not going "off", it is coming powering on then switching between standby and full boot modes.

Of course not. That's because pressing and holding the power button on a PC does nothing. It's an old wife's tale that that removes residual power! That does nothing on a PC. The button is connected to two pins on the motherboard that are tied to a "momentary" circuit. As soon as you press that button, the "state" of that circuit is flipped. Then the button is ignored until pressed again when the state of that circuit is flipped again. Holding it down does not drain anything. Note for some notebooks, pressing and holding the power button can reset the battery monitoring circuits (but again, has nothing to do with draining any residual power). But for PCs, holding that button does not but make your finger sore.

This idea of holding down the power button came from AT (20 years ago - before ATX) form factor computers when the front panel power button was directly connected to the power supply (not the motherboard) through a long wiring harness routed back to the power supply. In those original form factor PCs, there was no "stand-by" mode. When you pressed the power button, you turned the power supply on or off.

With ATX power supplies, when the PSU is plugged in and the master power switch set to on, the computer is in standby mode. And when you push the front panel power button which is connected to the motherboard, not the PSU, you are just changing power states from standby to on and back to standby. Never off! Off only happens when unplugged from the wall (or master power switch is set to off).

To remove all residual voltages from a PC, you simply unplug the computer from the wall (or flip the master power switch on the back of the PSU, if it has one) and leave it unplugged for about 10 seconds. That's it. No holding down buttons, no leaving it unplugged for minutes, hours, or even overnight.

In your video, at 0:40, it appeared the computer had booted but you pressed the power button. Why?

At 1:00 you pressed and held the power button (which again, does nothing). At 1:07 you say, "yeah nothing." What were you expecting? It was unplugged!

Then near the end, at 1:24 you pressed the power button again, it booted in less than 24 seconds - which is excellent.

10. deviantdigi

Regardless of your opinion on what the power button does. It's what I've read in respected IT books as proper procedure, told by a professor, tested on the in COMPTIA A+ test and simulation in 2014. Sorry I'm not reading yet another wall of text.

I'm not looking for explanations. You obviously don't have solutions here so I'm no longer going to address you.

11. Digerati

Oh? Got a link!

Here is the ATX Form Factor Standard that dictate the requirements ATX motherboards, ATX power supplies and ATX cases MUST comply with to ensure compatibility and proper "systems integration functionality". Here is the ATX Power Supply Design Guide for Desktop Platform Form Factors. Please show us where holding in the button on PCs performs this function - so we all can learn something here.

Wow. Good luck with your problem then. But I would ask for the benefit of others who may be reading that you please come back with a solution to your problem, should you find it.

FTR, my case's front panel lights go on and off a couple times during boot too - on all 5 PCs here.