1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 - Reserve it now

Discussion in 'A Question to the community!' started by nukecad, Jun 2, 2015.

  1. nukecad

    nukecad Established Techie7 Member

    So just ran windows updates and got a new windows icon in the system tray.

    Hovering over it the tool tip shows "Get Windows 10".
    It should actually say Reserve Windows 10 because thats what its asking you to do.

    It seems that its just Win7 (SP1), and Win8.1* users who are getting this at the moment, and all it seems to be doing is running a check to see your system is compatible and then asking you to pre-register for the upgrade.

    So I registered, to try and stop it nagging me until the 29th July release.

    Question is when it does get released do you install it straight away or wait a month or two?

    Presumably since the 'technical Preview' (beta) version has been out there for a while this initial Win 10 release should be bug free, or will it?

    What do others think?
     
  2. Digerati

    Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

    I suspect it will only be those users as those are the only versions that will be capable of getting it via Windows Update.

    There are somewhere around 1 billion Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers out there and virtually every single one is unique with it's own security, own user and network configurations, and installed programs.

    Windows 7 has over 50 million lines of code and Windows 8.1 is said to have about the same. So I think it safe to assume so will Windows 10.

    So "bug free"? No way. Bugs are still be discovered in XP, Vista, W7, and W8.1.

    But I have a great deal of confidence the upgrade to Windows 10 will go perfectly fine for most W7 and W8.1 users. But note even 1% of 1 billion is still 10 million and 10 million unhappy users can, and certainly will make a lot of noise - MUCH MORE than the remaining 99% who had no problems.

    And that noise will no doubt be amplified and exaggerated 10 times over by the hordes of irresponsible and unprofessional bloggers and [so-called] IT journalists who will undoubtedly attempt to make a splash for themselves with sensationalized headlines. :(

    My advice is to make sure you keep your current Windows fully updated. As always keep a current back up, just in case. And when the update is finally released, wait a few days, or maybe a week and if the uproar is rather mild, go for it.
     
    janellesnip likes this.