1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP Pavilion dropping wireless connection

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by lurla, May 27, 2015.

1. lurla

lurla Established Techie7 Member

I got this new laptop in December, and before this, I never had any ongoing connection problems with my old Acer. Since I got this one, my internet is not working more often than it is working. I spend my time disconnecting and reconnecting, troubleshooting and restarting the modem. I've had my internet provider here numerous times, got a new modem etc and still the problem reoccurs.

A quick google tells me that these computers seem to be noted to have this issue and i'm wondering if there is anything that can help me resolve it! It's driving me crazy. I am trying to avoid bringing it back in to the store and having them send it away and being without my computer for umpteen weeks because I'm doing a university course online. I dont know much about what info you will need so I may need baby steps.

I'm running Windows 8.1
    Processor: AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.10 GHz
    System Type: 64-bit OS

Network Adapters:
    Bluetooth Device(personal area network #2)
    Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #2
    Realtek PCIe FE Family controller
    Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Since it is still under warranty, you may need to send it in. Or at least contact their tech support to get on record with the problem before the warranty runs out. And since it does work some time, I don't see where any configuration changes in Windows will help.

Does this notebook connect okay to other wireless networks?

Have you scanned for malware? What do you use for security?

Many things affect wifi access connectivity. The big one is distance between you and the WAP, the wireless access point which is typically integrated with a "wireless router" or "wireless modem". The number of walls, ceilings, and floors affect reception, as does the wires and metal pipes in those barriers. If your WAP has external antennas, you can try moving them into different orientations. If internal, try turning the modem 90°.

Other electronic devices, including other nearby wireless networks can affect your reception. Devices such as nearby TVs and microwave ovens can interfere with reception. If there are several other nearby wireless networks (such as with a large apartment complex) you can change band via your WAPs admin menu.

If you can move closer (into the same room) that can help. If already right next to the WAP, then again, warranty support is probably your best bet.

The other option is to connect your notebook directly to the router/modem via an Ethernet cable. This would actually be best to ensure continuous connectivity. You can also opt for a new external wireless adapter similar to this. The external and high-gain antennas should ensure the best performance.

3. lurla

I've been through all of the outside interference chats with my internet provider, and we concluded that shouldn't be the issue because I've been using the same modem, in the same place, for 5 yrs without issue, until I got the new computer. Of course I had a hard time believing that a new computer could be the problem, and the tech guy agreed. No new electronic devices in the house, and I live in a rural area, so outside electronic interference isn't an issue either. I've tried to move to the room where the modem is and it is no better. Hard wiring does work but the modem isn't in a place that is compatible for any length of time using the computer. The other laptop is fine on the wireless, so when I got my head out of my arse, I realized it had to be the computer and some googling told me I'm not alone lol.

I hate to have to bring it back but it is REALLY annoying. When it works, it's awesome and fast, when it doesn't, I want to buy it a oneway ticket off the nearest bridge.

Would one of those adapters work if the computer is the problem? I'm wondering if its an internal issue or if it really doesnt pick up the signal though every other wireless device in the house does.

4. Digerati

I think yes and yes. It is the internal wifi adapter that is the problem.

You probably should visit your notebook's website and see if there is a new driver but networking protocols really are pretty low tech and nothing new so it would be odd if a new driver were there.

Even the best of the best have an occasional lemon and it sounds like you got it.

5. lurla

Story of my life!!! Should have returned it within the 3 mths. Spent too long fighting with my internet provider that it was THEIR problem lol

6. Digerati

Still contact them and explain it took 3 months dealing with your ISP. They should understand that - and hopefully show some sympathy and make an exception.