1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet speed oddity of 2 pc's

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by cyberwasp, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

My friend has had 85/mbps for the last 2 or 3 years. Recently her pc, "an hp p6610f" crashed, "hdd failure" so while fixing it I picked up a cheap 500-c60 so she could play her games and get email.

During which time she said it seemed slow online. She was only getting 36/mbps so I tried the simple things first. replacing/tightening cables. settings and caches, rebooting modem.

We called our provider and they came out, tested using their pc/tablet and received 86/mbps every time. The guy seemed pc literate and tried every thing he new. he replaced the modem even though it wasn't that. We did notice one strange thing though. His speed graph was relatively smooth where ours had peaks and valleys.

After fixing her p6610f I set it up and restored her programs. I than tested her speed and even her old machine is only getting 36/mbps

I had brought her machine back over here to test on my line which constantly gets 86/mbps. again hers only peaked at 36. One strange thing happened. I turned it on last night and it was getting 86/mbps. Turn it off and on again and it was back to 36. Both the 500-c60 and her old p6610f did this. Can anyone offer a theory.

p.s. both nic cards where rated at 100mbps

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I don't know. The only thing I can think of is timing - just heavy network traffic in her neighborhood as more and more people come home from work and school and get on line with their computers or start streaming video (Roku, Cromecast, Apple TV, etc.).

That does not explain why the tech got full speed so again, I don't know. Sorry.