1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 ?? about adding ram

Discussion in 'How to: Building a PC, Modding, Overclocking' started by cyberwasp, Jan 22, 2015.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

I own an hp h8-1080t which has 12g of factory ram. I believe it is 2x/2g and 2x/4g simms. Am interested sometime in the future to add another 12g making 24 total.

Here are my 2 questions.
    1) do I need to lose the 12g that's installed or can I just add the other 12 matching speed and type.
    2) I have seen on several Mb including this one, Blue slots. What is the significance.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

According to your motherboard specs here, that board uses triple channel memory architecture so with 12Gb currently installed, it mostly has 3 x 4Gb for 12Gb (or should have 3 x 4Gb anyway for optimal performance).

For triple channel to be enabled, 3 identical RAM sticks must be installed in the same "channel" and that's what the different color slots designate (see your manual for further details). If you have 2 x 2Gb plus 2 x 4Gb, your RAM is not optimized for triple channel operation (installing in pairs is for dual-channel motherboards, not triple). So you need to verify what you really have first.

But, even if you have 4 sticks and triple channel is not enabled, it is highly unlikely you will see ANY performance gains by increasing your RAM. 12Gb is already a MASSIVE amount of RAM. Any gains, if noticeable at all, will likely only be seen in benchmarking programs - not any "real" program and IMO, will likely just be a waste of your money.

You did not state your system specs so I don't know where you are starting from. But if me, and I already had 12Gb installed and I wanted to improve performance, I would look at a better graphics card, migrating to a SSD instead of HD, and upgrading to a faster CPU before adding more RAM.

If set on upgrading your RAM, verify what you have first. If not using 3 x 4Gb, I would look at buying a third 4Gb stick identical to the other two, discard the 2Gb sticks, and stick with 12Gb in triple channel.

3. cyberwasp

I'm not brave at pulling working memory so I ran memtest 86+ and did a screen grab. mem.jpg Can you tell from this?
    Like the saying go, "if it ain't broke,"

4. Digerati

Your SS confirms you have 2 x 2Gb and 2 x 4Gb.
    ...don't fix it! And I agree.

5. cyberwasp

We think alike. The P6610f is coming back nicely. I threw in a 2tb barracuda I had laying around for the data drive. The old 500g SSD makes it fly.

6. Digerati

And what are you using for a graphics solution?

7. cyberwasp

At this moment, just the integrated graphics which she's been using

8. Digerati

I am a bit confused because the specs for that system says it does not have integrated graphics and must have a video card installed.

9. cyberwasp

10. Digerati

This thread is about your hp h8-1080t. If you want to discuss issues with a different computer, you need to start a new thread.

11. cyberwasp

the h8-1080t is running an amd 7750 hd 2g video card.

12. Digerati

And are you happy with the performance of this computer?

13. cyberwasp

Very much so. Every things normal and it's fast

14. Digerati

Then I am curious - why did you want to double your RAM to 24Gb?

15. cyberwasp

Well, I do work in Photoshop which is a memory hog and was told by other users that it would help. Especially when working with 3d.

16. Digerati

With high-resolution 3d "animation" you might. But I am not so sure about that so if me, and if I really wanted to optimize my RAM, I would pull the 2 2Gb sticks and an add a 3rd 4Gb to match the other two and ensure they are installed in the correct slots to enable your motherboard's triple channel features first.

17. cyberwasp

I always thought that when you installed memory that it was best to buy them as a set and not just replace one or two of the same specs.

18. Digerati

It is best to buy all identical RAM at once so they don't go out of production on you. But if you can find a 3rd stick that matches the other two, there is no reason they should not work together.

Note that RAM sold packaged as a "set" is just 3 sticks of the same model number put in the same packaging. 15 - 20 years ago, they individually tested each stick, then matched them with other sticks to make a set. But RAM manufacturing techniques today are so much better that RAM makers have no problem producing RAM that meets published specs so they are all identical. Plus, motherboard memory controllers are much better at making slightly dissimilar RAM work together - even from different makers, as long as they have the same specs.

19. cyberwasp

First, thank you for all the help and all the time you put into it. But I'm about to go stick my head in the sand and stay there.

I looked on hp's website for the board that was used and looked it up online. according to it the board is only able to reach 12g, total opposite of what hp says. Plus I only have 4 sticks in mine. 3 of which are in blue slots. also I can't find a model number on the board itself other than Pegatrons name.
    pegatronmem.jpg

20. Digerati

Your board does not match the one I linked to above?