1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wired internet off/on

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by cyberwasp, Jan 17, 2015.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

My GF's pc recently bit the dust so I went out and bought her an hp pavilion 500-c60. All she does is surf the net and play Mahjong so she does need horsepower. Anyway, all went well during setup. However I noticed the wired connection was disconnecting for 2 second intervals continuously. Fortunately I setup the wireless and disconnected the wired and it was steady. I also found out today her internet speed is only getting about 22mbps when it should be 80. I'm hoping the problem is her modem and not the network adapter.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this with the hp 500-C60

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

It is funny how a tiny 3-letter word missing from a sentence can change the entire meaning of the sentence! ;)

Ethernet cables (and their connectors) are cheap, low-tech, and not very robust - but CRITICAL network devices. So the first thing I would do is swap cables. I would also try another Ethernet port on the router/modem as they can go bad too.

If no good after swapping the cable and port, I would try another computer on her Ethernet connection, or try her new computer on a different Ethernet network. If still bad, return the notebook.

3. cyberwasp

Ooops, didn't catch the typo, Does Not.

Well, her router has some trouble as her speed is 1/4 of what it should be which is 80/mbps. So I'm waiting for them to come out and replace that. before we try returning it which she'd rather not so as she restored all her data. I did try the cable swap with the same resulting on/off. It looks to me that her wired Ethernet card is faulty as I realized yesterday that wireless cards are separate.

4. Digerati

Whoa! That is super fast! Almost 3 times faster than most cable broadband connections and 4 times faster than most DSL connections. I would still try to connect a different computer to see what happens - just out of curiosity, if nothing else.

Yeah, they are totally separate devices and unfortunately, it is certain her Ethernet "card" is not a card that can be replaced, but integrated into her motherboard. You could buy an inexpensive add-in card, but with this being a new computer with problems, I don't think adding a card would help.

5. cyberwasp

this is my average speed
    isp.JPG

6. Digerati

Yeah. Great speeds. I have Cox cable and I have 60 download and 7.5 upload which I considered great cable speeds (at least until I saw yours!) ;)

7. cyberwasp

That's not our top available speed either. we found out about a deal and they upped us from 48 to 86 at $145, but that includes hd and phone.

I have a quick unrelated ?? for you. Am revamping my friends pc that the hd failed in. I have a 3tb hdd sitting here with win 8.1 on it from this pc with my license. is it possible to change the license to hers without re installing widows all over?

8. Digerati

Note sure what you mean by "change" the license. What kind of license is it? OEM/System Builders for Windows that came a different PC? If so, not legally.

9. cyberwasp

lol, dang. Thought I could save myself some time by throwing my old 3tb drive in her pc and boot it up as windows 8.1 is already installed, then just change the key to hers. o'well I'll find something else to tinker with while its loading from the recovery disks.

10. Digerati

If she has a legal license for the same version of Windows, you can legally do that. But the same license cannot legally be used on more than one computer.