1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by someguy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. someguy

someguy Techie7 New Member

I just bought 16gb ram for my pc
    sometime when i have firefox open with about 10 tabs my task manager is saying 14gb of my ram is used up, (not even from firefox or any program on the task list) and when i go to open up another program like windows media player. it says i need to close some programs because i dont have enough ram...
    is this a possible ram hardware issue?

the odd time i have only 4gbs used and windows says i need to close a programs because i dont have enough ram, even though task manager says im only using 4gb out of my 16gb

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

If the 16Gb is being recognized, then I doubt it is a RAM hardware issue.

First, did you ensure this specific RAM is compatible with your motherboard?

Have you scanned for malware? When exit Firefox is the RAM freed up?

Do you let Windows manage your Page File (the default and preferred setting)?

3. someguy

Yes the ram is compatible and recognized, upon bootup it shows 2 8gb 1600hz ram running on unganged mode (which is good i would say)
    As for malware i doubt it because i just freshly installed windows 7 pro (64bit)
    page file is default. i have not changed the setting at all

but i am using a 128gb ssd as my main hard drive. could that be an issue?

4. Digerati

"I doubt it" is not good enough and note during a fresh install is a prime time for infection because security may not be fully setup and Windows will not be fully updated either.

Not likely if ONLY Windows is installed on it. But if you have other apps and large data files on it too, then free space may be limited. How much free space do you have on this drive?

5. someguy

Yup I agree fresh installs are primetime for infection. That's why right when I install windows I downloag avg first then update it. Then I will download programs and such after it has updated. I use avg.

Hd space I have 64 out of 128gb left. I use a 1.5tb secondary HD for data storage

6. Digerati

That smart. I also add that is exactly why Microsoft included anti-malware (Windows Defender) in Windows 8 that, along with Windows Firewall, is enabled very early in the boot process. But again, they need to be fully updated right away to be current and most effective.

64Gb of free disk space is plenty so that points to FF eating up resources (a common problem) or something else eating them up. Task Manager or Resource Monitor from within Task Manager should help tell you what is using them up.

7. someguy

ive checked the processes and quickly added them up when 14gb is being 'used'
    and it still does not equate to even close to that much... im going to do windows update (since i never checked since i have installed windows)

8. Digerati

Updating Windows after a fresh install is something that should be done right away too.