1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser change

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by idr, Aug 25, 2014.

1. idr

idr Established Techie7 Member

I have a Google Chrome browser installed on my Win7 PC.
    However lately, when I write any keywords in the Google slot and click I receive results from a Yahoo browser.
    I have no Yahoo program installed on my computer and I had never any dealings with any Yahoo site.
    What happens and how to get rid of this?
    Thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

This often happens when using the Default install option when installing new software. You miss the option to "opt-out" of added toolbars, search options, and other [usually unwanted] junk bundled with your desired program they want to foist on our systems. :(

This is why it is essential to always select the "Custom install" option when installing new software - especially freeware or shareware. Because the developers of these programs need to feed and shelter their families too, they need to generate revenue and bundling these extras is how they do it. And I don't have a problem with that, AS LONG AS they provide opt-out options.

I recommend you look in the Programs and Features Control Panel applet for this Yahoo program, and uninstall it. You should also go to the Chrome tools menu, and check Add-ons and remove any add-on you did not specifically add.

3. idr

thank you but - NO
    Neither in add-ons nor in Programs and features I find anything similar to Yahoo
    and there is a lot of entries in the Programs and features but I cannot decypher what they are

4. Digerati

Then I would uninstall Chrome, reboot and check IE or FF to see if they work. If so, then re-install Yahoo.

5. idr

Thanks Digerati
    FYI
    Before applying your advice I checked once more and found an URL over the Yahoo results list
    Us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com
    I found that this is a virus, highjacker, malware or whatever and can be removed by adwcleaner.
    After applying Adwcleaner I checked again. Yahoo remained but before the virus URL appearance I saw something called astromenda.com
    This I found in the settings search options as my default browser!
    After several trials I removed the Astromeda and set Google instead and now, I hope, it will remain so.

6. Digerati

I recommend you have our Malware Removal make sure your system is clean. Please read this then start a new topic here.

7. idr

8. idr

Itried several times but Malwarebytes doesnt install on my Win7. I changed the name but it did't help/
    I scanned the computer with Awast

9. Digerati

I didn't suggest you install Malwarebytes. I suggested you follow the instructions in the links I provide to have one of our malware removal experts check your system. The fact you cannot install Malwarebytes is further reason you need to have your system checked by one of our experts.