1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the file ext ATB and ATQ?

Discussion in 'Desktop / Server Applications' started by freedomsurreal, Aug 1, 2014.

1. freedomsurreal

freedomsurreal Techie7 New Member

What is the file ext ATB and ATQ? I found it in a saved file for so software. I search the net and came up with nothing. What does it do and what is used for?

Thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hi freedomsurreal and Welcome.

You did not say which software so we cannot be sure as more than one program may use those extensions.

See if ATB and ATQ helps.

Note a little trick I use all the time when I encounter a folder or file I am not sure of is I simply rename the file or folder and see if anything breaks.

For example, let's say you have a file called "filename.atb" and you are not sure if it is safe to delete. Simply rename it to:

filename.atb.8-2-2014-delete​

...then just wait and see what happens. You may get a warning that changing the extension may break something - but that is what you are trying to figure out, so continue on. I use today's date and the word "delete" so I know how long it has been and what my plan was - and most importantly, so I don't have to remember the original name.

Then in a week or two (or even months later when I stumble on it again) if I have not had any "file not found" or other errors, I know I can then safely delete the file or folder.

If something does break, because I only appended the name with the date and -delete, all I have to do to rename it back is delete the appended text and all is restored.