1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC wont boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Crewie, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Crewie

Crewie Established Techie7 Member

Long story, but today I plugged my iPhone into my pc to charge it up.
    Straight after plugging the phone in, there was a message displayed on screen, but by the time I noticed it, the monitor had gone blue and the pc was running some form of scan search, all that was displayed was a count down timer, after which the pc shut down and then restarted, but once the pc started up the " Compaq" screen bootup/system recovery screen has displayed, the screen goes blank, as it would on boot up, but then a cursor is displayed at the top of the screen, which then goes down a few 'lines' on the monitor, and then the pc just hangs and does nothing.
    I have tried to get to safe mode, but Im guessing as the pc isnt booting up, I wont be able to get as far as safe mode.

Prior to this the pc ran fine, the only thing that I have added to it reccently is a usb wireless adapter, and I left the run disc for this in the cd player on the machine, so would this have anything to do with the problem?
    I have no XP disc or recovery floppy disc, so I dont know what to do.
    Can anyone help me please?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Since this is an XP system, you are treading on thin ice with security - you need to upgrade to a modern operating system as soon as possible. And also since this is an XP system, I can probably safely assume the hardware is not very new. This could very well be hardware failure with the drive failing or the motherboard failing to see it.

You might try resetting the BIOS (or replace the CMOS battery if old - which will reset the BIOS in the process).

The disk in the player should have no affect, even if it is bootable and the device is set before the boot drive.

Without the XP disk, I am not sure what to suggest. You can look through Computer Boots to Black Screen with Blinking Cursor for ideas.

You might also consider pulling that hard drive and installing it in an enclosure attached to another computer, or install it as a secondary (NOT boot) drive and copy off any personal files you don't want lost.

3. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

A bit late on this post, but ... try the following:

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD, unless it provides the ability to press a Fn key at boot time to bring up the boot selection menu. If it does, use that.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File.

The above can be done from any computer with internet access.

On the problem computer, boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
    Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, type: chkdsk /r and press Enter.
    Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

4. PcTestCard.com

PcTestCard.com Established Techie7 Member

Actually, we should try the Last Known Good Configurations before the save mode, this can help to load the last working hardware profile.
    The last connecting of the iphone to the machine may have caused the extra unstable voltages.
    Now, I would suggest give the computer a discharge first by removing the power cord and all USB devices and other peripheral devices to the computer then pressing the power button over 20 seconds, then connect the power cord back to the machine, and power on as usual.

Next if the computer still not able to work, please follow the other members suggestion to check the HDD and repair the OS.

Hope this helps.
    Bill
    Tech Manager.

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

You are responding to a thread that has been dormant for 6 weeks, and where the OP has not returned since his opening post. So the "Last Known Good Configuration" has long ago been superseded, and any "extra unstable voltages" (??? - whatever they might be) are long gone too.
    Give the computer a discharge? Nah! PCs don' t work this way and there is no mention of that "feature" in the ATX Form Factor Standards.

So, got a link to a paper, article, or some other publication showing the process and how it works? In particular, where is this "charge" being held? And how is it discharged if you remove (unplug) the only path to ground?