1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP not recognising extra hd drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by dwj, Jun 1, 2014.

1. dwj

dwj Techie7 New Member

Hi there,

Bios detects SATA 1, Master IDE hdd and Slave IDE hdd.
    After windows xp fully running, "My Computer" only displays IDE Master ( C:\ )with further partions on this same drive as D:, E:, J: with external usb drive as F:.
    How do you think I might get the SATA and Slave IDE assigned and recognised by windows?

Dj

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

The truth is, you should not be using XP any more - unless this computer will NEVER be connected to a network that has Internet access. XP is a security threat waiting to happen to you, to other users of your computer, to other users on your network, and more importantly, to your fellow Internet users. If XP were only a problem for the user, no big deal. But compromised XP systems are routinely used a weapons against the rest of us. So it is our concern too.

So my advice at this point is to upgrade to a newer version of Windows (if your hardware is compatible, and a new license is in the budget) or you migrate to one of the many free and capable versions of Linux, like Mint 17.

Otherwise, XP does NOT support SATA drives natively. This typically has to be added via floppy disk during the initial stages of installing XP when prompted to install SCSI drivers. It can be added to an existing XP, but requires creating images in virtual environments. I personally have not been too successful at this - instead I have had full success adding SATA by re-installing XP from scratch using an attached floppy with the required drivers found on the motherboard's web site. Note if your motherboard maker does not provide the necessary SATA drivers, you may be out of luck.

See Adding SATA to existing XP.