1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Avast AV still safe ?

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by nukecad, May 29, 2014.

1. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

I was just about to download and install Avast onto a laptop I have cleaned up when I noticed that their website had been hacked this week.

This begs the question: If their own site can get hacked is their software still safe?

Any comments guys?

2. nukecad

It seems that it was their forum that got hacked not the main website.
    So I have gone ahead and installed.
    Still makes you think though.

3. broni

broni Malware Annihilator Techie7 Moderator Head Security

Their forum has nothing to do with AV program.
    The forum is based on Simple Machines product which has nothing to do with Avast AV product.
    http://www.simplemachines.org/

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I think as more and more users migrate away from insecure XP and on to more secure W7 and W8 (and handhelds), badguys will begin to concentrate more and more on sites, and less on consumer computers. In other words, I think we will see more and more sites hacked or brought down by DDoS attacks in the future. Not good.

At any rate, I agree with Broni. The folks who run the site are a totally different group of developers from those who develop Avast.

5. nukecad

Yes I noticed that; hence my second post pointing it out and noting I was doing the install.