1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spyware Terminator

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by Claw, May 12, 2014.

1. Claw

Claw Techie7 New Member

Hey guys, What's your thoughts on Spyware Terminator free version ? Does it work, will it slow down a computer ?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Never used it but never heard anything bad about it. That said, since you told us nothing about your computer, the OS or any other security software you may be using, I do not recommend you install it.

3. Claw

Claw Techie7 New Member

Sorry about that Digerati, I should have known better being around forums for a long time. One computer still runs XP and it's only used for school work and it's running Avast Free, one is Vista Running MSE (Defender is disabled with MSE installed), one has XP that I do my forum work on running Avast Free, and the other is Win7 running Avast Free, I don't like the old Windows Defender, I tested it and it let things get past it.

4. Digerati

Well, it is a mistake to still be running XP on a local network that has Internet access.

MSE is a full anti-malware solution - meaning it scans for spyware too. The "old" Windows Defender is a spyware scanner only - it does not scan for viruses or other malware. You don't need it with MSE and that's why it is disabled. The "new" Windows Defender included in W8 is an improved version of MSE.

For my W7 systems, I use MSE and MBAM Pre (Premium), along with Windows Firewall. For my W8 systems, I use WD and MBAM Pre, with Windows Firewall.

For XP, I recommend retiring those systems, taking them and keeping them off-line, migrate them to Linux, or upgrade them to a newer, more secure and supported Windows OS.

That said, if you unwisely insist on continuing to use networked XP systems, I feel MSE or Avast is fine, but you should have an alternative scanner to double check to make sure MSE or you (the user and ALWAYS weakest link in security) did not let something slip by. MBAM Pre is great for that, and unlike other alternatives, MBAM Pre plays well with other "real-time" scanners. Short of MBAM Pre, MBAM Free is also excellent, but requires manual scanning as it does not have a real-time (in memory) component.

That said, because XP is the Swiss cheese of operating systems, I agree with you and would urge the use of a 3rd party anti-spyware solution. Again, I personally am not familiar with Spyware Terminator. With my XP systems, I used SUPERAntiSpyware.

5. Claw

Claw Techie7 New Member

Thanks for the help. The XP systems are going to be retired soon, one will have a Linux distro, the other I'm planning on up grading, but emergency money matters put that on the back burner. I may be new here at Techie7 but I've been a member of other forums for a few years now, but every now and then I just like to post a question as to get answers from others that are "in the know" before I do anything, I respect forum members opinions and advice. I don't do anything "unwisely",I just do the best that I can with whatever means I have. Take it easy buddy, I'll see you around the forums, and thanks again for all your help. :)

6. Digerati

I call that being wise!

Make no mistake, I fully understand the financial burden migrating away from XP has been for many people. And I fully understand the waste and damage to the environment retiring and replacing fully functional electronics "hardware" before its time causes.

But the difference here is all about security - the safety, identities, and well-being of our children, fellow Internet users, and us. If continuing to use XP only threatened the user of that computer, that would be one thing. But it doesn't. Compromised XP systems are used by badguys to distribute malware and spam to the rest of us, and more and more recently to participate as zombies in bot armies conducting DDoS attacks against popular websites.

Many major anti-malware makers have promised to support XP for as long as they can, but they also note that is not indefinitely, and depends on the vulnerability's exposure. The day will come when a simple anti-malware definition file will not patch a XP vulnerability, and we have to assume the badguys will be (already are!) ready to exploit it.

The problem is, that could be tomorrow, next week, or next year. No one knows when, but we do know it will come, and we know the badguys are ready to pounce. Do note:
    1. It is a basic user responsibility to maintain our systems to current security standards. XP was developed over 13 years ago, before the explosion of broadband to the home, or the threat from badguys or the proliferation in their numbers was understood.
    2. Malware seeks out other devices on your network to infect.
    3. Basic home routers tend to see data from connected computers as "trusted data".
    4. Locally networked computers often are set to share data, that is firewalls see data from those systems as "trusted data".
    5. A compromised computer is a threat to others, not just the computer's user.
    6. Free and fully capable Linux alternatives are readily available.
    7. Microsoft announced more than 5 years ago April 8th end of life support was coming. 5 years is plenty of time for even the tightest of budgets to prepare. I note a brand new Windows 8 Notebook can be had for $300, or a refurbished PC with W7 or W8 for well less than $200!!
    For those reasons and more, I am sorry if it offends, but yes, it is unwise to connect an XP system to the Internet. And everyday the risks increase and everyday the potential for you to become a threat to others increases as well. So unwise, and uncool, but I am very glad to hear they will be retired or repurposed soon. In the meantime, I would urge you to not do any banking or shopping with those XP systems, or better yet, block Internet access completely to those XP systems in your router.

FTR, I still have an old XP system that I have repurposed as my backup server. It is blocked in my router from the Internet and powered off most of the time. When I want to backup my other systems, I power it up, backup my computers and power off.

So again, I fully sympathize with financial burdens keeping current in security causes. Especially when unplanned emergencies pop up. But at this point, staying current in security is like the need to have good car insurance - it is not just for you, but for those you may hurt too. And if you cannot afford insurance, don't drive!

7. Claw

Claw Techie7 New Member

Thanks for your help.

8. Claw

Claw Techie7 New Member

And just in case you may need to know, my money problems started in 2005 when Americas Greatest Natural Disaster, Hurricane Katrina took everything I had and left me with a vacant lot where my house stood. Now I'm not in Louisiana anymore and 5 years ago my little girl almost died. So between starting over with nothing and then trying to pay her bills, all my PCs were given to me and broken and I got them working, things have been extremely hard. Also, I don't drive much because we can't afford another vehicle of more insurance. Thank you for your time buddy, I appreciate it. Have a good day.

9. Digerati

Wow, I sure am sorry for all the bad luck. I understand your plight now. I was in Biloxi right after Camille - horrible devastation along the coast and Katrina was worse.

I hope your daughter is doing well today. Good luck.

10. Claw

Claw Techie7 New Member

I understand what you were telling me Digerati. I just lose it sometimes, alot of family and friends lost their lives, and mine is extremely hard to put back together. Thanks for understanding and again thanks for your help, I will remedy the XP matter as soon as I can, I already am looking into Linux. Thank you.

11. Digerati

Well, moving to Linux can be a big learning curve - but a HUGE learning experience too. Fortunately, there are several Linux oriented tech support forums, with lots of experienced Linux users who can help you do whatever you do in Windows, with Linux. Again, good luck to you and family and hope all works out for you.

12. Claw

Claw Techie7 New Member

Thank you . :)