1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer start but nothing on screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by Maxime Duval, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Maxime Duval

Maxime Duval Techie7 New Member

Hi, I tried to start my computer and when I start it I can hear the fan go on but nothing shows on the screen and there is a yellow light in front of the computer instead of green one (it is not flashing). I tried to clear CMOS by removing the battery and reinstalling it and it didn't work. I took of the RAM and replaced it didn't work either.

Also I can't stop the computer by olding the start button, I need to close it from the power supply switch. I tried to remove my graphic card and plug it in the motherboard card without any succes.

I really don't know what to do next.

2. Maxime Duval

Maxime Duval Techie7 New Member

Computer is HP Pavilion m8100n

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

If me, I would start by replacing the power supply with a known good one. If you don't have a spare PSU, you can have yours tested at a repair shop.

4. broni

broni Malware Annihilator Techie7 Moderator Head Security

What Windows version is it?

5. PcTestCard.com

PcTestCard.com Established Techie7 Member

I would suggest reseat and install the connectors on the mobo.
    This including the power connectors, the mobo jumpers, reseat the CPU, RAM, Video card(if dedicated), any addon cards...etc.
    Replace the small button Bios battery.

Check for the damaged capacitors on the motherboard as well.
    Yellow light instead of the regular green light indicates there should be problem in the system.

Hope this helps.
    Bill

6. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I will go along with reseating everything but the CPU. There is no need to do that unless the cured bond of the TIM (thermal interface material) has been broken. There is too great a risk of ESD or physical abuse damage that is unnecessary to take, and these risks and necessary precautions should be presented with the suggestions. And I am not a fan of reseating the RAM for the same reasons, unless the sticks were not properly inserted in the first place. The slots are designed to properly lock the RAM in place and keep dirt and grime from the contacts. But to that, I note Maxime already said,
    @ Maxime Duval - If you decide to reseat the RAM again, ensure you unplug the computer from the wall then touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE reaching in and touching the RAM.

Do NOT reseat the CPU, unless you have the necessary materials to properly clean the mating surfaces and then properly apply a fresh new layer of TIM - this again after taking the necessary ESD precautions. And unless the computer has been bounced off the floor, or you twisted the CPU's heatsink fan excessively to see if loose, it is not likely you need to reseat the CPU.

Please provide the Windows version as Broni asked, and do you have access to another PSU?