1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing my Windows XP support, what to do...

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by mark227, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mark227

mark227 Established Techie7 Member

I have windows xp, I've been reading that xp will be losing all its support from micosoft. Do I have to look for another windows operating system? Can I still keep xp or do I have to change? If I do, which one should I use and how would I change it. Thanks....

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

If you want to keep using this computer to access the Internet, then yes, you definitely need to upgrade to a new operating system - IF your current hardware will support it. If your hardware is too old and the hardware makers have refused/failed to develop and provide updated drivers for the modern operating systems, then you will need to upgrade your hardware too.

Otherwise, after April 8th, there will be no more security updates provided by Microsoft and consequently all XP systems should go off-line (disconnect from any network that has Internet access) to remain safe and most importantly NOT become a threat to others.

As for which OS you should, you have left us with too many unknowns for us to answer. We have no clue what hardware you currently have.

My advice is to get the latest OS your hardware support - hopefully at least Windows 7.

You can run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to see if your hardware is compatible.

Do note this "End of Life" support by Microsoft for XP was announced over 5 years ago. Plenty of time for even the tightest of budgets to prepare - if not waiting until the last minute! I note a brand new Windows 8 Notebook can be had for $300, or a refurbished PC with W7 or W8 for well less than $200!

Alternatively, you probably can switch to a free Linux alternative and continue to use your existing hardware until it breaks.