1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox "Browse" button doesn't work [Solved]

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by asprin, Mar 11, 2014.

1. asprin

asprin Techie7 New Member

This is more of a browser specific problem, so please excuse me if this is the wrong place to post it.

I've the latest version of Firefox installed on my system (27.0.1). But something seems to have gone wrong with my Firefox browser. It was working fine 15-20 days back. But now the browse button just doesn't seem to work. I don't get the dialog box at all. And it's the same case in all sites and not just one particular site. It seems to be a problem with dialog boxes only as when I right click on any picture and click "Save picture as" or "Save target as", nothing pops up.

Screencast added to better express what I'm trying to say.

(sorry for the very low audio, you may need to crank up the volume on your system)

I also tried un-installing the current version, then downloading a fresh copy of FF and installing it making sure no previous settings are imported. But the problem still existed in a freshly installed browser.

PS: If I boot in Windows safe mode, the button starts working. This makes me believe that some windows driver is interfering with Firefox, but is there a way to find out which driver?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Look in Device Manager for any errors. Have you tried Chrome or IE to see if they have the same problem? How did you download a fresh copy of FF?

And when you say the button works in Safe Mode, does that mean you actually are getting out to the Internet? Any problems with emails or Windows Updates downloads?

You might try uninstalling FF again, making sure to reboot after uninstalling to ensure all hooks are removed. Then install again.

Is XP fully updated otherwise? Have you scanned for malware?

Finally, note support for XP ends in less than 1 month. While XP will not suddenly stop working, it is understood in security circles that badguys have a cache of unreported vulnerabilities and have already developed malicious code to exploit them, ready to release "in to the wild" after April 8th. And several major anti-malware program have already announced their support for XP will end when, or shortly after Microsoft's support ends.

So while I understand you want this problem resolved, it is time to upgrade to a modern OS if your hardware will support it, or upgrade your computer to one that does.

3. asprin

Device Manager is all fine. No yellow exclamation marks anywhere.

I forgot to mention about this. Yes, I had tested with Chrome and IE. The button works in these two browsers.

From the official mozilla page.

Yes, I chose Safe Mode with Networking. So I was able to access the internet in safe mode.

Nope.

Ok. Will try this as soon as I get a chance and will update its progress.

Yes and Yes. Had the system scanned with MalwareBytes.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I've been saving up since the last month onwards to buy Windows 7. Windows XP is a beloved OS for me, so I think it might take around 2-3 months before I switch the OS.

4. Digerati

When I asked "how", I meant how did you download FF with FF being broken. But you noted Chrome and IE work. The fact they work when booting normally tells me your networking is setup properly.

I fully understand. I refused to switch to Vista because XP was so good and "beloved". But you don't take a beloved Ford Model-T on the Interstate highways, not because it cannot do 75MPH, but because the legacy car does not have the necessary safety features to keep you safe. Microsoft announced over 5 years ago XP's April 8th 2014 End of Life was coming! Plenty of time for even the tightest of budgets to prepare. I note a brand new Windows 8 Notebook can be had for $300, or a refurbished PC with W7 or W8 for well less than $200!

These prices are MUCH LESS than the expense and headaches you will have to endure if (when!) your XP computer is compromised and your identity is stolen.

You say you scanned with MBAM. That's great, but do you have a real-time scanner installed and running too? Or is that MBAM Pro?

It sure seems as though this is a FF issue and not XP since Chrome and IE work. But you might want to look at your firewall settings.

5. asprin

For everything else, Firefox works fine. The only problem areas are the <input type="file" /> button and the "Save image as/Save target as" dialog boxes.

I do have Avast AV Free Edition

MBAM is also free edition

I'll certainly check the firewall settings, but I wonder if firewall can disable functions inside a browser like the ones I've been having problem with.

6. Digerati

Alright, you have Avast AV as your real-time scanner and MBAM Free for supplemental scanning. That is a good setup, assuming Windows is kept updated.

No, a firewall cannot disable functions, but it can sure block them.

7. asprin

Well, I didn't find any setting specific to a browser so I think Firewall is not the culprit too.

8. Digerati

Well, I am afraid I am out of ideas. I use IE. Unless someone else comes by here with some suggestions, you might try posting on a FF forum (but please keep us posted too so we have a chance to learn).

9. asprin

10. Digerati

Well, I hope someone there can help.

BTW, see Oldapps. If me, I would go back to 27.0.1 from 14 Feb as that is the last "final" (not beta) release.

That said, I would be a bit surprised if that fixes it.

11. asprin

I finally figured out what was messing with Firefox. It was the Citrix application that was installed on the system. Once I un-installed it, Firefox was back on track. Not sure why Citrix was affecting only FF and not other browsers, but I'm mighty relieved to have finally found a solution.

Thanks a million Digerati! You were very patient with me and I really appreciate your help.

12. Digerati

Great! I am glad you got it sorted out.

Interestingly, when I plug "Citrix Firefox" into my search engines, I am finding quite a few cases where Citrix and Firefox don't play well together, including this recently updated Citrix Support Article, Applications Fail to Launch from Firefox. If you need Citrix, this might help.

And thanks for coming back and posting your findings! :)

13. asprin

Thanks. I do need Citrix in future. So I hope that thread gives the solution to have both installed and working as expected.

PS: Just to clarify for those who might be having similar problem, I'm referring to Citrix windows application and not browser extension/add-on.

14. Digerati

You are welcome and good luck. And if you learn anything more that may be useful to others, please update this thread.