1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

managing my site

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by idr, Feb 25, 2014.

1. idr

idr Established Techie7 Member

I work on two computers, one at home with WinXP, another in my office, with Win7 which I still learn to operate.
    I manage a Internet site with about 200 hits daily. I built the site about eight years ago, using a now obsolete generator from a company that doesn’t exists any more.
    It is really a data base, consisting of about three thousend pdf files and a HTM homepage on which I put same amount of links to the pdf files.
    Once a month I add about 20 new pdf files to the base, and I enter the appropriate links to the main page, using the same old generator on the WinXP computer but I didn”t succeed to install the generator on Win7.
    Is there some simple program, working on more modern systems, to which I can transfer the main page, and how can it be done?
    Please advise.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I'm a hardware guy so I offer this only until someone with more experience in this area comes by.

You might check with your website host. They typically provide free software to edit and maintain your site. WordPress is also widely used and probably worth checking out.

That said, your greater issue might be your XP system. It is essential for you to understand that Microsoft support for XP will end in just a few weeks. No more security or critical updates will be released after Apr 8! XP will not suddenly stop working but that is not the problem. There are many reports in security circles that badguys have been waiting with a stash of malware to release into the wild after April 8 to exploit recently discovered but unreported vulnerabilities in XP.

Also, several of the major anti-malware security program makers have already announced that their support for XP will also end when, or shortly after Microsoft's support ends.

I urge you most strongly to upgrade your XP system with modern hardware and a modern OS (W7 or preferably W8.1). Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor or the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to see if your current system is compatible. And if not, buy new hardware.

While I understand a new, modern computer can be a budget buster, Microsoft announced the April 8th cut-off date over 5 years ago. That said, I note a brand new Windows 8 Notebook can be had for $300, or a refurbished PC with W7 or W8 for well less than $200! These will not be powerhouse screamers, but will likely still run circles around most XP era hardware.

If upgrading to a new computer and/or new Windows is still out of the budge, I would urge you (1) to disconnect the XP system from Internet access (exposure) and use it as a stand-alone system, or install and use one of many capable and free versions of Linux.