1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to identify outdated Java 6 update 29 product code

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by tallin, Jan 21, 2014.

1. tallin

tallin Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

As my subject heading states, I am unable to identify the product code to completely uninstall Java 6 update 29. When I follow instructions to find in regedit, there are so many and no way can I identify the correct one.

I have downloaded and run Microsoft Fix which also needs the correct code to continue as my attachments show.

kind regards,

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Have you tried JavaRA to totally remove Java?

3. tallin

Thanks for your reply - Yes one of the first things I tried was JavaRa. I have also tried many help topics but identifying the product code will be the answer. I have only just found this link which I will try http://www.java.com/en/download/help/regkey_addremove.xml (scroll down to the bottom)

This maybe the answer to my issue, however will try later on as it is before breakfast here and I don't do much until I have been fed.

I will update later if it worked.

best wishes,

4. tallin

Update:

This looks like what I am looking for, do you think it safe to delete both?

Thanks Digerati, value your guidance here,

best wishes,

Attached Files:

5. tallin

Update 2: After backing up the registry, I did delete both those registry entries, rebooted, but sadly I still have the same issue. I have read so many help links with no further suggestions to make, so I guess I will live with these old entries which of course are not doing me any harm. It was just a challenge to stop Java showing them still evident.

Any other thoughts Digerati or anyone else for that matter.

best wishes,

6. Digerati

Well, I was going to suggest backing up the Registry and see what happens if you delete those entries. Sorry that did not work.

I really don't have an answer for you. BTW - because of the recurring security issues with Java, I removed it from my systems some months ago - with no regrets. Here's my little canned text on that.

Since the recent flood of critical vulnerabilities that Oracle failed to promptly correct, Oracle FINALLY provided a way to disable Java via the Java Control Panel. However, the US Department of Homeland Security Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) still recommends users disable Java in browsers.

However, the need for Java is becoming less and less and since new critical security issues with Java are constantly being discovered, and exploited by badguys, EVERYONE needs to re-evaluate their need for Java and I recommend doing that by uninstalling it, then see what happens. I did that several months ago and have not encountered any site that requires it. So IMO, forget about disabling Java. If you don't need it, get rid of it! If it were needed for Windows, MS would have put it in there by default.​

I wonder what would happen if you installed the latest Java 7 version, then tried JavaRA?

7. tallin

I have the latest Java installed (7 update 51 with Security level "Very High") and unlike most people I really need it. With all the who ha months ago suggested uninstalling all Java for security reasons, I did not do that, I disabled it in Control Panel so each time my banking sites and other sites needed it I let it load just for that operation. After a time so many of the sites I use needed Java, I enabled it again with no issue at all and that was months ago.

Hard to understand when the items for Java 6 update 29 have been deleted, they still show when using the Java uninstall Applet.

I thought the link with the step by step to rid my registry of those two entries was a really good one although it did not solve my issue.

Thanks for your input,

kind regards,

8. Digerati

Odd that so many of the sites you visit STILL require Java. :(

I am really at loss here. You might consider running CCleaner's Registry Cleaner using the "Analyze" function. This will list all its findings, allowing you to select and choose which entries (if any) you want removed - or you can simply cancel, then manually edit the Registry.

9. tallin

I did back up the registry again, then ran CCleaner's Registry Cleaner. As this is my old Windows XP laptop I deleted all registry entries showing. I then went back and checked to see if the old Java 6 update 29 entries had gone, and got the following message. I then lowered the security level from High to Low, ran the applet again but the same message was evident as below.

Digerati, I am only persisting with this as a learning curve and the fact it is on my old Laptop - what I can try next is a puzzle to me.

kind regards.

Attached Files:

10. Digerati

I fully understand. I can be pretty tolerant when I understand why something is not right on my computers. But I get pretty bulldogged when I can't.

Did you try the MS Fixit listed in your Java link above?

11. tallin

Yes, I did try MS Fixit, however I would need the Product code which is the problem. I don't have it and cannot find which was in my original post in this thread. My error code is 1605 however finding this link is to advanced for me to follow. Can you help when reading the second answer please?
    from here

kind regards,

12. Digerati

"Second" answer? Sorry, tallin, not following.

I found this where it says the product codes are:
    {26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F83217021FF} - Java x86

{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F86417021FF} - Java x64

Have you tried RevoUninstaller?

13. tallin

Not understanding the above in quotes....sorry

I ran MS Fixit using each of the Product Codes you supplied, then checked but still no joy, in other words Java6 update 29 is still showing installed.

Yes, I tried Revo and OIBit Uninstaller but only the latest Java is showing installed so neither of them can help. As you know, they can not uninstall unless the program show installed.

I think it is time to give this away as previously stated, it is not interfering with my old Laptop, was just a learning curve for me.

Thanks for your input, and replies,

best wishes,

14. Digerati

Well, if it were here on my bench, I would probably run CCleaner's Registry cleaner on it.

15. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

16. Digerati

Good idea, Rich. Sure worth a try.

17. tallin

@ Digerati - I ran CCleaner Registry cleaner, whilst I could not identify the small amount of items to be fixed, I did fix them all, rebooted, tested again for old versions of Java and still 6 update 29 shows as installed. Mind you it does not show installed in Add and Remove, Revo, or IObit uninstaller.

@ Ztruker - Nice to see you Rich. I ran Appleoddity's tool, and the only difference now is I cannot verify that old versions of Java are installed or uninstalled as I get a message to say, my security settings are stopping the Java Applet from running....interesting to say the least. I am running Chrome and Avira.

Unless I can verify if old versions are still there, I am not privy to whether Java 6 update 29 has now been uninstalled. I am guessing it has gone due to Appleoddity's Fixit tool, but really not sure.

best wishes,

18. Ztruker

Hi tallin. Uninstall Avira and disable firewall then try Appleoddity's tool again?

19. tallin

Thanks Rich for your reply, but wouldn't that leave my Laptop vulnerable while I am doing as you ask? Appleoddity's tool ran, but now seem unable to verify Java. The latest Java is showing installed as it always is.

Your advice is required re vulnerability,

best wishes,

20. Ztruker

It will only be for a short period and as long as you stay off the internet there will not be a problem.