1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a Workgroup with a Win 7 PC and Vista Laptop

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by morrig47, Jan 19, 2014.

1. morrig47

morrig47 Established Techie7 Member

I want to create a workgroup on my home network consisting of a Win 7 Desktop PC and a Win Vista Laptop. Having completed the process involved (at least I think I have!) the result is as follows:

Laptop to Desktop
    I can connect to my Win 7 PC from the Vista Laptop with no problem. I can see the Desktop PC on the Network whose icon I select. Then there is a box which asks for an user name and password. In this I type the User name and password of the PC and it connects with no problem and I can access all the files on the Desktop PC that I wish to be part of the sharing process.

Desktop to Laptop
    I can see the Laptop on the Network, but when I try to connect I get a Windows Security box asking for an User Name and Password. I have tried all kinds of User Names and Passwords, but to be honest I do not understand what this box is asking for. I have tried using the equivalent laptop name and password to no avail.

My basic question is, therefore, what am I being asked to supply in terms of the Windows Security box- User Name and Password?

Many thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

You should be entering the username and password of the account on the notebook you are trying to access.

3. morrig47

Digerati

Many thanks for your response. That is what I tried I the first place as it is exactly what I did to gain access the other way. When I do this a second Windows Security box appears asking for the password. I have tried it a number of times and I know it is the correct password to access the laptop.

It simply does not make any sense unless I have missed a process in setting up network sharing. I have checked both PCs and both are enable for Network Discovery and File Sharing.

Very frustrating - any thoughts?

4. Digerati

5. morrig47

Digerati

What a super article. Clear and precise - will retain as a favourite on IE! It resolved the issue by suggesting I turn off Password Protected Sharing on the Vista laptop. This help me access the laptop files on the network which I can now share. I still find it strange that by turning the password protected sharing on I cannot access the Vista laptop by using its user name and password. But it works this way so I will stop worrying about it.

Many thanks again for you help - very much appreciated!!

6. Digerati

I am glad that got things sorted out and thanks for the update.