1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filehippo finding drivers to update

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by tallin, Jan 6, 2014.

1. tallin

tallin Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I see when running Filehippo update checker that it has also been updated which now is showing 2 drivers in my case to be updated. I checked Device Manager which is not showing updates of any type in need of an upgrade. See attached file please.

The Windows XP SP/3 laptop if running fine especially as it is a 2005 purchase so as it is not broken I am hesitant to fix if not needed. Experts advice would be appreciated.

This Laptop is not able to be upgraded to Windows 7 so the Windows 7 upgrade advisor tells me so guess it has a shorter life now there will be no support after April 2014.

kind regards,

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I find it odd you are getting notice for NVIDIA and AMD graphics. Does this notebook have two graphics solutions?

I don't normally upgrade drivers just because new drivers are out there. Most driver updates - especially on older systems, just update supported devices, like new CPUs and GPUs.

Since the system is working, I probably would ignore those updates.

3. tallin

System 2.gif System.gif I have run Filehippo many times on this old Laptop and never have I been advised to upgrade graphic drivers before and I cannot see any evidence of either in the enclosed attachments. Interested in your comments of course as my signature says, still lots to learn this end.

best regards,

4. Digerati

Not sure what evidence you are expecting speccy to show. It "looks" like your graphics driver is from 6-14-2010 and is ver 78. If me, I would visit the notebook maker's website and see what "new" drivers are there.

5. Michael Belsky

Michael Belsky Techie7 New Member

Since Filehippo updated the look of their site, I am having similar issues. Initially, it was showing me Beta updates, despite me having it set to not show betas. That actually resolved itself, but now it says I have an update for both "AMD Catalyst Drivers 13.9 XP" and "NVIDIA Forceware 327.23 WHQL XP". I remember getting these notifications when I first ran filehippo update checker, but I was able to go to Settings > Results > Customize Results > Load > Hide all releases. However, these two items (AMD and NVIDIA) do not appear on the "Customize Results" list at all.
    This must be related to Filehippo's new site look. I sent them a message, but we will see if it is fixed.

tallin likes this.
  6. tallin

Hi Michael and a warm welcome to Techie 7,

Thanks for your post, interesting to say the least. I have no option to go to Settings > Results > Customize Results > Load > Hide all releases when running the Filehippo link. I don't even think I have the drivers mentioned for updating on my old laptop so have taken Digerati's advice and ignored the suggestion to update.

Why oh why do they release updates for software before they are proven which mislead the public and could cause newbies to be updating when not necessary.

Thanks again for your update,

best regards,

7. Digerati

I used to really like FileHippo's major competition, Secunia PSI and used to run it all my machines. But I found I was spending much more time trying to get PSI to accurately reflect what was happening than I was ensuring my system up fully updated. So I dumped PSI and now rely solely on Windows Updates and individual program updates to tell me a new update is out there.

When it comes to security - and that's really what matters here - what's important? Keeping Windows and our security programs current is what matters. And Windows Update does a good job with Windows, and security programs are good at staying current too. So personally, I just don't believe programs like Secunia PSI or FileHippo are needed anymore - at least not with a modern OS like W7 or W8.

8. Michael Belsky

Michael Belsky Techie7 New Member

Looks like Filehippo fixed the problem. Today's scan, neither AMD or NVIDIA showed up! I guess they really do read the feedback we send them.

9. Digerati

When the roar gets loud enough!

10. tallin

Yes, they did fix their problem as no longer do I have those drivers showing when I run Filhippo. Thanks Michael for updating this thread.

best wishes