1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethernet Splitter or Switch

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by nabed4t, Dec 27, 2013.

1. nabed4t

nabed4t Established Techie7 Member

Hey all,

First off I'll explain my set up. in my Computer room I have my Router/Modem connected to the EoP adapter and the other end of the adapter in the lounge room where my PS3 is connected directly to it, my question is would an ethernet splitter on the lounge room end after the EoP adapter allow me to connect my PS3 and my WD Live TV Unit to my Modem in the computer room? Or would it cause conflicts and headaches?
    I will only be using one at a time if that makes any difference, I've done a bit of reading about it and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I would prefer a splitter just because it is cheaper and smaller. I just wanted to check before I go buying stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I realize a splitter is cheaper and smaller, but a switch would be much better. With a splitter, you are forced to use one connected device at a time, and the other must be totally turned off (often meaning "unplugged" - since off typically means "stand-by" these days, unless all power is removed). With a switch, multiple devices can be connected, powered on and used at the same time. And fortunately, a home network switch is not that much bigger or more expensive than a simple splitter. For example, the Rosewill 4-port 10/10Mbps Switch for $8 with free shipping. will serve your needs, and provide better performance and more options than a splitter, and support multiple connected devices at the same time.

That said, if budget allows, a 1Gbps switch will ensure the best Ethernet performance (depending on your current router's capabilities) and future proof your network should you desire to connect a device that supports 1Gbps Ethernet (as most PCs do today) some time down the road. So if budget allows, I recommend something like the TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps 5-Port Gigabit Switch.

3. nabed4t

Thanks Digerati,
    That clears it up, main reason I was hoping to use a splitter is because it doesn't require a power supply. $20 is bugger all, I'll just get a switch and avoid the hassles.
    As a matter of interest what setup would call for the use of s splitter?

4. Digerati

None in my book. Note there are 4 pairs of wires in CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable but only 4 wires (2-pair) are used in an Ethernet network. A splitter allows you to split a cable to run basically two networks in one cable, thus letting you make one cable run, instead of two. They do NOT allow you to split 1 network connection to feed two computers - the computer would get confused. Their purpose is really just to save the cost and hassles of running two cables.

Plus, on the other end, you need a second splitter to separate the networks again. Splitters must be used in pairs.

See http://ethernetsplitterhowto.wordpress.com/

5. nabed4t

Thanks again Digerati, I think I will just get a Switch. I actually think I have a 100Mbps switch lying around I could use for the time being. Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
    Dan

6. Digerati

That's all you need - likely much faster than your Internet bandwidth. And unless all your computers support 1Gbit LAN and you need to move a lot of data between your networked computers, that 100Mbps switch is all you will ever need.