1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAS Transferring Method

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by nabed4t, Oct 12, 2013.

1. nabed4t

nabed4t Established Techie7 Member

Hey all,
    Not sure if this should be in Hardware of Networking so I took a guess.
    Anyway, I bought myself a QNAP TS-220 NAS and I'm just wondering if there is a better way to transfer data onto it other then over the LAN as I'm only getting speeds of 10MB/s as my Router is not a Gigabit one. I have tried plugging my External HDD (USB 3.0) into the USB 3.0 port on the back and transfer it that way but still the speeds at not exceeding 7-10MB/s. I was kind of hoping that I could connect the NAS directly to my PC via USB like an external HDD so I could quickly transfer all my Data.

Any suggestions would be great (other then getting a Gigabit router, that's somthing I'll get later)

Thanks heaps.

Dan

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Your router (and NIC), unless really really old should support 10/100Mbps so I would expect data transfer over the network to be faster than that. Since you get similar rates via USB 3.0, I suspect your computer is the bottleneck. That is, your hard drive and RAM.

Ethernet cables make a difference too. They are not very robust and can be damaged by too many yanks easily. So make sure you have good cables connecting the devices. I personally make all my own. That way, I can make it the right length. If you go that way, "invest" in a good crimper and a good tester is a good idea too.