1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I so need some advice, ( WiFi ) laptop

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by jkat7, Apr 26, 2013.

1. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have a Acer 5742G laptop ( UK version ), 14 months old, everything works save for one issue.

Yesterday for the first time I decided to connect it to my router via WiFi.

( the laptop connects fine via cable or if I teather it via my mobile ).

My router is a Huawei HG533 used in conjuction with my Talk-Talk sevice, I have no other wifi device connected or shared.

When I try to connect laptop via wi-fi I get as far as imputing security password and a few seconds later one of two windows appear, either " security password mismatch " or the other message is "cannot connect,--trouble shoot, which tells me nothing..

Spoke to Talk-Talk, they checked router, ( security password ) all is OK, they seem convinced there is a problem with the internal wifi card on the laptop which they say maynot be compatable.

The router is G/N rated and the interal wifi card is a B/G/N afair ( Atheros AR 5B97 ) according to ACER.

I removed the laptop back cover the marking on the wifi card was T77H167.07HF

I spent a while trying to resolve the issue, unistalling/installing latest drivers for the card,--- under device manger/network adapter/advance setting/Atheros/advanced, I disabled 802.11 bluetooth and enabled adhoc11n nothing doing.

I read a forum that stated router speeds was running to fast and reset settings on wifi card to solve things ( don't know how to that ) another suggesting I reverse the two wires on the wifi card, I haven't tried that ).

Bottom line is I can't connect my laptop via wifi, can any one suggest what the problem is and a fix.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hi jkat7 and welcome to Techie7.

I suggest you (1) try your notebook on another network at a neighbors or free hotspot at your local library or Internet café. If it works there, you know your notebook's wifi adapter is good.

You should also try another wireless device on your network to see if it allows other devices to connect.

Is SSID broadcasting enabled? Some devices need it enabled to connect.

3. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

Hi and thanks for the welcome Digerti and sound advise.

My apologies for what would appear to be the lateness in my in response to your advise. In fact I had replied earlier, not sure what has happened to my post and came back to see if you had given further advise to my other questions.

As for my first post, the solution turned out to be rather mundane.

However, almost 4 1/2 hours spent on the phone in conversation with ACER and Talk-Talk, the last-lasting 1 hour 49 minutes with Talk-Talk and both companies trying to get money out of me.

The solution, after a good slug of JB in my system was to look at the problem objectively, then pressing the WPA button on the side of the router,---problem solved,---connected.

As I write this and wallow shame faced in my own ignorance and stupidity I save face a little by asking myself was it beyond my reasonable expectations for Talk-Talk to mention this button to me,---Thank you Talk-Talk,--Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Are you able to give me further advise on WiFi extenders and installing an SSD?

4. Digerati

lol I prefer his cousin JD, but point taken.

As far as tech support's failure, that I don't know - unless that particular wireless router was provided by Talk-Talk, then they should have the wallow shame face, not you as they should know their own products.

Just to ensure an understanding, do note there is no such thing as a "wireless router". That is an inaccurate marketing term for an integrated network appliance that contains in the same case a router, a WAP (wireless access point) and typically, a 4-port Ethernet switch. They are totally discrete (electronically) devices that share a case, circuit board, and power supply. I mention that because you say you pressed the WPA button on the router. WPA is a wireless security protocol and has nothing to do with routing, or Ethernet connections. Clear as mud, huh?

As for wifi extenders, what do you want to know? Generally they are used to extend the range of wifi coverage beyond 30 meters indoors and 100 meters outdoors. However, indoor range is greatly affected by the number, consistency and content of walls, floors, and ceilings between the WAP and the connected device. By consistency, I mean thickness and materials used, and by content I mean electrical wires and metal pipes. Wireless range can also be affected by EMI/RFI (interference from other wifi network and devices emitting too much RF interference.

Do you need to go beyond those distances? Also note that antenna location and orientation on both ends matter a lot too. Your WAP (wireless router) needs to be centrally located, preferably in a high location. And your connected devices need as close to "line of sight" as you can get. I have found that wireless adapters with external antennas assure the best connection.

As for installing an SSD, installing into what (PC or notebook)? And in what position (boot drive or extra drive)? Since they use the same data and power connections as typical SATA hard drives, physically installing an SSD into an empty drive bay in a PC is easy. Swapping an SSD for your boot drive is a complex operation, but doable.

In either case, the SSD discussion should done in a new thread in the hardware section.

5. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

The router in question is indeed supplied by Talk-Talk but I got the button name wrong, it's WPS not WPA as I stated but pressing it certainly resolved the issue,---- to a degree.

I was asking about WI-FI extenders because connecting via WI-FI is a hit and miss affair even with the laptop in the same room as the router and is also the reason why I stick to hardwire connections.

The Talk-Talk router is a Huawei HG533 and has no external antenna.

All of which is a little accademic but has revealed that wifi coverage/signals my home is not as good as I hoped for.

My reason for making sure the laptop wifi worked OK is because I purchased laptop in 2012 and have used it less then a dozen times, ( I was hoping to use the laptop more and the desktop PC less but it never happend ), and have decided allbeit a little hesitantly that a 10.1 tablet is going to be used more so I'm going to sell the laptop, so needed to make sure everything worked

I'm not an Apple fan anything so if I sell my laptop I will buy a Samsung Note 10.1 but need to know/resolve any Wi-Fi coverage issues and be convinced a tablet will double up, ( to a point ), as a second PC.

Assuming I do have WI-FI coverage issues, and any tablet will only ever be used in the home, what brand of WI-FI extender would work best with my existing router and a tablet?

However I also take your point shifting router position may help as would shifting my somewhat rotundish like figure, ( as you mentioned " consistency and content " ) as I can well imangine it blocking signals.:eek:

Setting up a Wi-Fi extender would be a --if all else fails fallback.

As for a SSD I will start a new thread

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  6. Digerati

That is still a wireless function, not a router function, but regardless, it is something their tech support should have been aware of.

Yeah, you have other problems. Extenders do not increase power to extend range, they simply add what amounts to a relay station in between distant ends.

Since you have problems connecting via wireless in the same room with no walls, floors of ceilings to go through, then something is not working correctly, or (and this is much less likely) you have a severe interference problem caused by some other, and faulty electronics device. You don't need an extender, you need to correct your current wifi problems.

Got a neighbor with wifi? See if you can connect with no problem with their network, and in turn, see if they can connect to your network. In fact, if you can "see" any of your neighbors' networks when searching with your notebook, your notebook's wireless adapter is working fine - at least in terms of range.

You don't need an extender for your tablet. Note I have a Samsung 10.1 tablet and it connects no problems to my network wirelessly anywhere in my house, or yard. That said, no tablet (IMO) can replace a PC.

Then try turning the device 90 - 180° one way or the other, or try with the router standing on its side to change the horizontal/vertical positioning. And try to distant the wireless router from other electronic devices in the area - especially those with high power circuits (TVs, microwave ovens, laser printers, computer power supplies, ham radios, etc.).

And in spite of what Talk-Talk may tell you, you can always buy your own wireless router. In researching that router, it appears fairly new and there may be a firmware update for it as well.

Any problems connecting, or with Internet performance when using Ethernet?

7. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

What surprised me is how many neighbors/networks my laptop saw and vice-versa, hell the road is humming.

A few knocked doors but can confirm neigbors can connect fine with my router and I like wise with theirs.

I am now reasonably convinced any connection issue may lie with the positioning of the router as you have suggested.

It is sitting directly behind a very large TV so come this bank holiday I shall get busy trying to find a better position for the router although I find it odd neighbours and I can see each others networks yet with my laptop sitting practically on top of my router, ( same room ), I am having some connection problems.
    If I wanted to write a letter using a Samsung 10.1 tablet connected to a keyboard what App would I use whose files could also be seen/used/saved to a Windows 7 PC?.
    I thought as my Talk-Talk set top box came complete with the Talk-Talk router as a package they couldn't be split,---another brand of router would not be compatable with the set top box.
    None even when I have had two laptops and the desk top PC/down/up loading data via an Ethernet hub and the TV/BBC iPlayer being watched.

Do you have a Samsung Note or Tab?

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. Digerati

That's probably it - the TV may be interfering with both the WAP and your notebook.

I don't know because I would never use a tablet to create documents, other than, perhaps, a short email.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying your Internet router is in the same box and your TV converter?

I have the Tab 2 10.1.

9. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

No, I mean the router is seperate to the TV box but I thought they were bed fellows, I didn't realise I could us another brand of router to work with my Talk-Talk TV box.

Why would you not use a tablet to create documents?

10. Digerati

It is not working with your TV box. Somewhere the cable signal coming into your home is split with one branch feeding TV signals to your TV box, the other branch (the network traffic or data stream) feeding your network. Note you MUST have a modem somewhere for your network traffic. That serves as your Internet "gateway". That is where the network signal (data) goes first after being split from the TV signal. From the modem, the network traffic is routed to the router, then out to your connected devices.

Understand the TV data stream and network data stream have NOTHING in common, except they ride on the same cable.

11. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

Thanks, understood.

12. Digerati

Personally, I think it is deceptive how some ISPs make their customers think they must buy the hardware from them, or rent it from them. It just isn't so. That said, my ISP will sell or rent, but also suggest several 3rd party devices they more or less certify will work.

13. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

I have been with Talk-Talk in one reincarnation or another for many years.

I get my phone calls, TV through them but use a seperate ISP for e-mails and hosting.

Talk-Talk sent me their router first via the post and a few days later, ( actualy quite a few days later ) an engineer visted to install the Talk-Talk set/top box and both have been chugging along untill I tried to connect wirelessly to my laptop, ( hopefully that issue has/ will be resolved ).

I think I actualy own the router and the set-top box, I just pay for their service.

What router/brand might you recommend?

14. Digerati

Sorry, forgot to answer this earlier. Perhaps it is just the luddite in me but I need a full sized, traditional keyboard for starters. For another, I like a large monitor (in reality, I like two large monitors). To create documents, you need applications like word processors, spreadsheets, and editors. Tablets have limited resources to support them, and still perform adequately.

A tablet may be great for reading a book, just not creating one. At least not in my opinion.

As for router brands, it is important to note that router technologies are nothing new, or very complex. And because networking protocols must be, and are standardized, router makers cannot really add features that make their performance superior to someone else's. So basically, a router is a router is a router, and technically, any brand will do. However, quality of raw materials and component parts, construction and assembly all factor in for reliability so for that reason, I recommend sticking with major brands with established reputations. And for me, that means Netgear, Linksys, and D-link - though ASUS seems to be stepping into the network equipment field and I pretty much trust anything with the ASUS brand on it.

15. jkat7

jkat7 Techie7 New Member

Me to, even my laptop I use a seperate keyboard to bang about on.

I use Word for most of my correspondance, so I am hoping there is a word processing app out there where I can transfer/save Tablet files on to my PC.

I know you can get a keyboard for the Note 10.1 but I was thinking also of a Blutooth keyboard instead.

I have had a couple of ASUS products, never had a problem with them.

Netgear seems to be the router brand at the moment so if your advise and my effort doesn't work, I'll look at Netgear.

16. Digerati