1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Samba" Server (DLNA) Question

Discussion in 'Desktop / Server Applications' started by dave71, Apr 3, 2013.

1. dave71

dave71 Established Techie7 Member

Evening all.

'Samba' server on Huwei Router

When i got my new Router (Huwei) it came with a USB connector which i found to be useful for file storage and sharing around my home network. It works simply enough but i have one issue. Security. If i log in via my mac and eject/disconnect the drive when i'm finished, i need to re enter the user name and password to access it again, which is how i want it to stop accidents.

On my daughters laptop (windows 7) if she logs in then closes the window, a password is not required to get back in until she shuts down and restarts. This isn't ideal as again i want to prevent accidents. i could log log into to my router and change some settings, change permissions to read only, but this defeats the objective.

Would it be windows 7 remembering the username and password, or is it the poor router software not looking for any form of authentication, my iphone etc can get straight in with no passwords either using a remote file viewer app after the initial login.

In my opinion its a cheap facility so would i be better off with something else, would a NAS drive be better & be more secure.

Cheers