1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Shuts down after at start up after a few seconds

Discussion in 'How to: Building a PC, Modding, Overclocking' started by Shervin63, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Shervin63

Shervin63 Techie7 New Member

Hi,

I am a computer software developer. But I never built a computer from scratch. So I decided to do so.

I bought an MSI ZH77A-G43 mobo from Fry's electronic accompanied by a 650 Watt PSU. I bought 2x4 GB DDR3 1333Hz Speed and an Intel pentium 2.70 CPU, a 500 WD Green HDD, and a DVD/CD drive. Both drives are SATA.

I connect all components to the motherboard, I put a Thermal past between the cpu and its fan. Connected the 24 pin and 8-pin connectors to the motherboard.

The problem is that when I switch on, power only lasts for about 5 seconds then all the components shut down.

I did a bench test last night and result was the same. According to the MSI tech support the cpu that I am using is compatible with BIOS on the CEMOS BIOS.

It is driving me nuts. Does anyone know why I loose power?

Images of the mother board can be found in MSI.com
    Click on products, main board, click on the bold name of the motherboard.

Thanks.
    Shervin
    SDC11744.jpg

SDC11743.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hi Servvin and Welcome to Techie7.
    Not sure what you mean by that. The BIOS is what needs to support your specific CPU. The "CMOS" (not CEMOS) simply stores your changes to the defaults set in the BIOS.

At any rate, you should always buy a CPU that is listed on the motherboard maker's QVL - qualified vendors list. These are CPUs the maker has tested and certified as compatible. Your QVL is listed here.

You are losing power because the power supply senses, or is being signaled, that something is not right.

You said you used TIM (Thermal interface material). That's good, but why? Didn't the CPU or heat sink already come with some? Did you thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of any old TIM or dirt first? Is the new layer as thin as possible but still a complete cover (too much is counter-productive)?

Are those images of your board? Or did you download those from MSI (I note the dates are from last January). If not your board, did you attach the secondary ATX power connector (shown as the black and yellow cable connected at the top left of the first image)?

Did you connect a graphics card? And does the graphics card take extra power connections (many do)?