1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba L670-14p - ATI Radeon 5650 HD updates

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Conercao, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conercao

Conercao Established Techie7 Member

Hey,

I've got a Toshiba laptop and I've noticed that the video card drivers Toshiba have on their site are woefully out of date.

Is there anyway to update this type of graphics card? I only ask as the standard cards are on v12 now, and I'm still stuck on v8.9. I know Toshiba only update their drivers about as often as a solar alignment, so I was wondering if there was a 3rd party way of doing this?

Thanks,

Conercao.

2. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi Conercao

Here's the site where you can get the latests updates for you graphics card.
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
    Just enter your details in the drop down options.
    This will take you to the AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool here
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx
    If your version of Win7 is 64 bit or
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-32.aspx
    If its 32 bit version of Win7
    Download and install this.
    This helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers.
    So you can ensure you get the latest drivers for your card.

If you have any questions please post back

Jim23

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  3. Conercao

Hi, yeah, I've already looked at that website, but when I get to the driver verification tool I see this at the bottom of the screen:

At which point it just links me to the Toshiba website, which is no use at all.

4. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi, That's unfortunate.

The only other option would be to contact Toshiba and see if they can offer and help or updates.
    I'd be very wary of getting drivers from any other website other than Toshiba or AMD.
    They could come with a number of of unwanted or needed problems.

Jim23

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I NEVER upgrade drivers from the OEM. OEM providers often "tweak" the products to take advantage of their hardware (or to fill or attract some marketing niche) and they "tweak" the drivers to support those changes. This is especially so on notebooks, which tend to have many proprietary features. So I recommend you stick with what Toshiba is telling you.

Also, I NEVER upgrade drivers just because new drivers are out there. Typically driver updates, especially graphics drivers, just include support for new hardware released since the last update. That is, the driver updates typically have NOTHING to do with your existing hardware. So they don't need updating.

I update only when the update addresses a security issue, addresses a problem I am having or adds new support for a new program I am using, or when I first buy new hardware. So before updating drivers, read the history.txt to see what the update does. I have seen driver updates that only corrected spelling errors. :(

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. Conercao

True, but I figured there must be some type of improvement from v8.7 to v12(?). Perhaps its best that I just ignore the issue then.

7. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

First, besides that incompatible message you noted, I would NEVER assume Toshiba follows AMD/ATI's version numbering nomenclature. That V8.7 is from Feb 2011. Four full revisions up from 8.x to 12.x is a lot in one year. There's no telling if Version 8.7 here means the same as Version 8.7 there.

I am sure there are some improvements in the newer versions, but they are not necessarily for your specific graphics solution installed on that motherboard. Since AMD (and NVIDIA) bundle all their drivers into one package, there will constantly be updates to address the new (not old) hardware.

So drivers for notebooks in particular, stick with the notebook makers' drivers. And I recommend the same for factory built computers, unless you know for a fact, they are using off-the-self configured components.

And actually, for graphics cards, again, I recommend going with the card maker's drivers and not AMD or NVIDIA's. The cards may contain the same GPU and chipset from AMD, that does not mean ASUS, XFX, or Gigabyte does not tweak it to optimize this feature or that (partner) game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.