1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to save, remane, delete, copy, etc. files

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Karen O., Mar 18, 2012.

1. Karen O.

Karen O. Techie7 New Member

I've been having a persistent and annoying problem for the last week. I can't rename, delete, move or copy files in Windows Explorer, and I can't save files using any Office program. I get a file permission error. It started after an upgrade to my antivirus program (Avast!), but disabling the program does not help.

I can move or copy a file to an external drive within Explorer, and then copy or move it back to the hard drive. It will not save, rename or delete files, nor create a new folder on my external drives. I cannot install new programs because Windows will not create the directory.

I can save perfectly well from other programs, such as Notepad or WordPad, but I cannot save a file as a text file from within Word.

Files will download from the Internet.

I am running Windows XP, service pack 3 on a tablet PC.

What I have tried already:
    Running a registry cleanup program, because some places suggested it might be a registry problem

Doing yet another upgrade to my antivirus software

Doing a full scan for viruses.

Searching tech forums high and low.

Changing file permissions by hand. They simply change back.

Checking in Task Manager for any odd programs, but everything seems to be fine there.

2. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Try creating a new account via Control Panel, User Accounts. See if the same problem exists there. If not then you can keep the new account and copy everything from the old to the new then delete the old (once you are satisfied all is okay).

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Or follow these directions posted in GeeksToGo.com
    • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
    • Show all files by opening My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check Show Hidden Files/Folders then uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes and Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]. Click Apply then OK.
    • Create a new Administrator level account via Control Panel / User Accounts.. Pick a good name as you will be keeping it.
    • Reboot the computer.
    • Login with the new account so the folder structure under Documents and Settings gets created, then log off.
    • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
    • Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
    • Select everything in that folder, including sub folders, except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini.
    • Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount. Reply Yes or Yes to all when duplicate folders or files are found.
    • Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
    Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user, you can delete the old profile.

3. simon67

simon67 Techie7 New Member

I used DuplicateFilesDeleter to find and remove duplicate files .