1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to install or uninstall Graphics drivers.

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by TexasKeef, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TexasKeef

TexasKeef Techie7 New Member

Hello, I've been trying to fix this for quite some time now.
    I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 I tried to update my graphics driver, when I started this mess I had v. 275.33.
    If I run the Nvidia updater from the software, it said I am up to date. If I run the scan from the website
    it tells me to download 285.62. I downloaded it and it fails to install. I go to uninstall 275.33 and it fails
    to uninstall, or do anything at all really. I try to uninstall any and all of the nvidia drivers, all fail. I tried driver cleaner, driver sweeper, ect. with
    no success. I restored my computer to a previous point as to start from the beginning.

I then was able to unistall most of the driver from the device manager menu, as I read from another source. It was then VGA as the source. Ran driver sweeper in safe mode, rebooted and tried to install the driver again. no luck. I tried with microsoft update as it suggested it could install the driver. I tried and got the error, "the reqired line was not found in the inf"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Running windows 7 ultimate with MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460

Any suggestions?

2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

3. TexasKeef

Yes, which got me to the point where every thing was removed, device manager listed vga. Windows uninstall programs listed the video driver still but again when I click uninstall, the hourglass flashed for a second then nothing.

4. TexasKeef

Also at this point, all the other nvidia programs are still listed on the programs list, attempting to uninstall any of them results in a failed uninstall.

5. Dan Penny

Did you try to install the 295.73 driver?

6. TexasKeef

Yes I have, no matter what I have tried it fails or does nothing at all.

7. Dan Penny

Is your Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit based, or 64 Bit? The drivers outlined above are for 32 Bit.