1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for PC case with 4 x front USB ports

Discussion in 'How to: Building a PC, Modding, Overclocking' started by Johanus, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Johanus

Johanus Established Techie7 Member

I thought this would be a simple UK Google search but no success.

I am looking for a choice of black, mid tower, PC case which has 4 x USB ports at the front.

I damaged the case of one of my existing self build PCs.

I fitted a front 4 x USB hub but it has always been a hit and miss affair as to what devices work with it when they are attached so am thinking a PC case that comes pre-fitted may work better.

I like the Cooler Master brand, something like a Cooler Master Elite 335 Mid Tower ATX PC case or along those lines but with 4 x front USB ports instead of 2.

Budget £30-£50, I don't require a PSU or anything like as it is a gut and swap over job but new case must have 4 x front USB ports if posible.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Understand that if you find such a case, it will be just a case with a built in 4-port hub. In other words, the front USB ports are going to connect to the same USB header on your motherboard as your current damaged case. So you may still have a "hit and miss affair". You might be better off buying a decent self powered hub that connects to the back of your computer (directly to the motherboard's rear USB ports), then set the hub on top of your tower, or on your desk.

Also note that USB 3.0 is here, so you might want to look at upgrading your motherboard to USB 3.0 via a USB 3.0 expansion card, then you will be ready to support new USB 3.0 devices.

But to your issue, there are not many options in your price range (less than $78 USD) for cases with 4 USB ports in front. I found these but I am not familiar with either of these brands. And I personally will never buy a case again that does not have removable, washable air filters. The Fractal Design case has a removable filter under the PSU, but not in front where most of the air comes in. And again, these are USB 2.0 so they will not support the higher speeds of any USB 3.0 devices you may buy. They will work - just not at the higher speeds.

There are several more cases with both USB 3.0 and 2.0 front support (1 + 3 or 2 + 2) for around $100 (£64).

3. Johanus

Thanks Digerati for your response sorry for delay in replying.

Unfortunately my MB doesn't support USB 3 but will support a PCIe USB 3 expansion card.

You are right, I thought about what you wrote, I gave up on trying to source a PC case with 4 x USB at front in the UK.

I still need a new PC case but will install USB 3 ports at the front.

I have not used USB 3 or have anything that uses it, will a USB 2 plug fit a USB 3 socket?

4. Digerati

Right, that is why I said looking at upgrading your motherboard to USB 3.0 "via a USB 3.0 expansion card."

Yes, USB 2.0 (or 1.x) devices will still work in a USB 3.0 port - but of course, only at 2.0 speeds.

5. Johanus

Sorry, my last thread read as if I was criticizing your advise, I wasn't, what I meant to say was I was disappointed to find my MB didn't have a USB 3 header but as it's three years old, perhaps that was to much to hope for.

So I will follow your advise, install an expansion card and then some USB 3 ports at the front of the PC case.

And thanks, I wasn't sure if a USB 2 plug fitted a USB 3 socket, now I know.

6. Digerati

I did not take it that way so no worries.

Only the latest motherboards just now coming on the market have USB 3.0 support - and even many of those only have 1 or 2 USB 3.0 ports plus several 2.0 ports.

The plugs are different but compatible.