1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc to tv video card

Discussion in 'How to: Building a PC, Modding, Overclocking' started by cyberwasp, Jan 1, 2012.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

I recently got a new pc and found it had hdmi output. am now watching shows on my tv through pc and hulu. I know it's no big deal but a friend saw it and wanted to know what he needs to accomplish the same feat.

I know he needs a video card with hdmi output and probably a heftier powersupply as he no doubt has a stock 300W ps.

My question is. Would the amount of on board video ram make a difference when watching tv. I ask as mine has 3g of video ram on the card, it's a gforce GT 545.

Also he's on a low budget So I would appreciate any suggestions to which card and why. TIA

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

3Gb? That sound like a nice card. To answer your question, it does not take much graphics horsepower to hand-off video to a monitor or TV. For this reason, there are many excellent home theater PCs that provide outstanding video support including HD and BluRay, using integrated graphics. So the reality is, he can get a budget card that supports HDMI and may not need to upgrade his PSU.