1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I be sure my Monitor is showing 1080p?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussions' started by Majin, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Majin

Majin Dedicated Member

Monitor: LG W2353
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

The GPU came with a dvi to hdmi adapter which is plugged into the monitor's hdmi port. The monitor supports 1080p and NVIDIA Control Panel is showing the GPU is HDCP-capable. But how do I know its actually showing 1080p when playing High-def on max settings video games it doesn't seem like it does but it might be my eyes I don't have much exp with HD.
    Any way to tell for sure that its putting out 1080p?

[​IMG]

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

From the same screen above, click on Change resolution and, without changing anything, what does it say for your current setting?

3. Majin

Majin Dedicated Member

4. Digerati

(Those two images are the exact same - including file name).

A couple things. It appears to be set on the "Native Resolution". That's good. LCD monitors work best at only one resolution. That does not mean they will not work at others, but they are optimized for just one, the "Native Resolution"

The refresh rate is immaterial with LCD monitors. That was developed for CRT (picture tube) type monitors. With CRTs, there is a phosphorous coating on the inside of the screen. Red, Blue and Yellow guns fire electrons at the phosphorous coating, "exciting" it, causing it to glow. Phosphorous does not keep glowing, it immediately starts to fade, so it has to be refreshed - zapped again and again with the guns, until the image changes.

LCD monitors use liquid crystal "diodes". A diode is a solid state device that allows current to flow through it, but only one way. A diode has two states, basically on and off.

When a diode is told to turn on, it stays on until told to turn off. It does not need to be refreshed because it does not fade. So LCD monitors ignore that setting.

That resolution is a clear indication it can can display 1080P. Whether it is or not depends on the video source. Some monitors have a display button to show current display information.

5. Majin

Majin Dedicated Member

Sorry here is the correct image.
    http://i.imgur.com/RI0lE.jpg

I was not sure if one of those had to be picked to be in 1080p

Looked on the monitors menu didn't see anything with information if it was in 1080p or not or anything related.

6. Digerati

1080p (and 1080i) are television resolutions. You might look in your TVs menus but from here all looks good.