1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8

Discussion in 'Technical Discussions' started by D-A-L, Jun 2, 2011.

1. D-A-L

D-A-L Techie7 Administrator Staff Member Techie7 Chief

Who will upgrade to Windows 8? thoughts on Windows 8 enhancements? likes? dislikes?

Windows 8 What's New Video

[youtube]p92QfWOw88I[/youtube]

2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

This guy only talked about it's use from a touch screen. Many (if not most) won't be using it that way. Surely they know that. I suppose that we'll have to see what else they choose to show us but I probably won't get it.

3. D-A-L

I like the touch screen idea, more and more people are now used to operating phones by using touch. I am looking forward to seeing apps where you have far greater control by using your hands to move, rotate, spin objects on screen.

Also as prices come down even further more and more homes will have larger screens not just as TV's but as home PC's.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Well, I skipped Vista and now use Windows 7. Not sure if I will skip 8 and wait for 9. That will depend on how much better 8 is from 7. I think Win7 is, by far, the best Windows yet, so I think MS set the bar pretty high.

As far as touch screens, I think they are great, for everything but typing. I don't like typing on glass - no feedback.

5. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

There's some bits in that video that look nice but my general thought is ......WOW - if I gave that to the average small business user that I have to support after they've just about, nearly, got comfortable with using Windows XP (or even Vista or 7), I think their heads would probably explode!

Out of my 20-30 small business clients, I've only got one who genuinely wants to be "cutting edge". They'll love the idea of buying Windows 8. Then they'll realise that it's actually not worked out as well for them as they had hoped and they'll wish that they'd gone with my recommendation of not being so "cutting edge" and just doing what everyone else is doing!

For all the rest of them, just as Digerati says, I've got them to stick on Windows XP and Office 2003 and avoid Vista and Office 2007 as much as possible. I'm happily introducing Windows 7 and Office 2010 into my smaller clients (or start-up businesses) who can handle the change more easily. But for the majority of my clients, who have users that would prefer to use a pen, some forms and a filing cabinet if they could get away with it, the migration even from Windows XP to Windows 7 has to be very carefully considered, planned and managed. Windows 8 would have to have some kind of "classic mode" to turn off all of the new UI to make it even worth thinking about at the moment ....and that makes it kinda pointless.

I'm also with Digerati on touch-screens. Nothing feels more natural to me than using a keyboard and a mouse as I've been doing it for hours every day for over 20 years. That's one of the things that I like about my Blackberry - I get a full QWERTY keyboard with "normal" buttons even on my mobile phone. I've got used to the scroll ball / wheel on my Blackberry because that's very similar to the scroll wheel on my mouse. But, even though I prefer Windows 7 on my girlfriend's mobile phone to previous touch-screen mobiles, I still don't like it. If I've been working under the bonnet of the car or cleaning out a dusty server and I my phone started ringing, nothing would feel more un-natural than having to swipe my dirty fingers up the front of my expensive phone and then type an unlock code into "virtual" buttons just to be able to answer it.

Also, can you imagine how weird it would be to stand in front of a training room of average users and say "Right, I know that I've spend several years asking you to not actually touch your laptop screens when you're pointing out something to a colleague because you'll leave imprints, scratches and finger marks over them ..........but, erm, well we've just bought these new computers and monitors and now I want you to wipe your fingers over them all day long". LMAO !!

This preview video has made me more determined to plan for upgrades for all of my small business clients from Windows XP / Office 2003 to Windows 7 / Office 2010 and then leave them all on the same setup for about 5 years. Greater user understanding = fewer support calls.

6. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

They are obviously trying to appeal to smart phone users and I, frankly, am not interested. I don't see myself using a pc like that.

7. Digerati

That and the new tablets, which I recently read, are expected to outsell notebooks next year.

8. D-A-L

As with anything, many people don't like change. Touch interfaces have so far stood the test of time even though they are still in their infancy. There are always going to be situations where certain technology is not suitable and the keyboard and mouse are not going anywhere fast but there are always better ways of doing things. The way we interact with technology will change for the better with time, that's a fact, what is also a fact is that it will upset and leave people behind as it always does.

If you ask any iPhone user if they would ever go back to a button controlled menu system on their phone my guess is 99% would say never.

9. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Actually I am an iphone user yet I'm really not into all that touch screen control on computers like Windows 8 will apparently require. If I got a tablet I'd probably just type on it.

10. D-A-L

But the point is would you prefer to go back to a phone with a button controlled menu? I'm not saying you will automatically want to control your main computer in the same way but it's a transition that will grow over time. It might be a long while before office workers are sat using touch screen machines but the technology will rapidly come into other parts of your life where you interact with a computer.

Think of terminals at Airports where you book your seat or scan your passport, they would never have a keyboard or mouse to control them. Gradually the technology will expand, and that keyboard and mouse you've been using for the last 20 years will be obsolete. Mobile is the obvious candidate to adopt the technology because you wouldn't carry extra hardware around with you to operate it but with time it will cross the boundaries to every day use in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  11. Digerati

There are two problems I see with these devices. (1) They are small. Of course some might say that's a good thing, but when typing, a small keyboard is not good - ergonomically speaking. And (2) there is no "tactile" feel to using a touch screen as there would be with a real keyboard.

While the latter is something we will likely just have to get used to, size will always be a problem.

I guess another problem is these small devices are contributing to the obliteration of the English language, and the written word.

12. D-A-L

I agree totally on the keyboard issue for now. Something will have to be done to improve that, perhaps voice recognition will eventually be feasible. Another option might be the projection of a keyboard onto the surface in front of the device. So for when your on the move you use the on screen keyboard and when you dock at your desk you project a full size keyboard to the surface.

13. Digerati

The problem with voice recognition is you have to talk to use it. So there goes any privacy with anyone within earshot. And in an office or classroom environment, everyone yelling at their monitors could cause confusion.

14. D-A-L

Very true, perhaps on a home level it may expand more but I agree in a busy office environment it wouldn't work.