1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProfileCnt.exe Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by autumnfrigger, Aug 27, 2010.

1. autumnfrigger

autumnfrigger Techie7 New Member

Hello,

We are receiving an error that says "ProfileCnt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I updated and ran SpyBot, Malwarebytes, and did a boot-time scan of Avast (which is our full time security). All scans came up clean. I also ran CCleaner just in case.

I read another post on d-a-l.com which said to run the GMER Rootkit Detector and Remover, but it went non responsive and I wasn't sure what to do next anyway, so I closed it and thought it might be time to ask for help.

I am not an expert but can follow directions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi autumnfrigger Welcome to D.A.L

If you suspect this is malware?
    We have a dedicated team in D.A.L to tackle such problems. Please follow the link be low
    and read the sticky's there. Then post your problem.
    If it is malware/spyware I'm sure they will help you get to the bottom of the problem
    and clean your PC

Spyware, Adware, Viruses and Malware Removal - D-A-L Computer Help

Jim

3. autumnfrigger

I don't know if it's malware or not. I did a google search on it and only two valid results came up. Neither one offered any information on what the error is, what causes it, or if it's malware or not. I do not suspect it is malware because all scans came up clean and we haven't had any new installs recently. Do you know what the error is or what could be causing it? If you think it's malware, I'll be happy to re-post per your instructions.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

I'm not sure if its malware. As you say there is very little information on it via Google.
    Although I did find something on it, via a google translation page option here : -
    what is ProfileCnt.exe - Google Search
    On the fourth one down it offers a page translation.
    It suggest on the translated page that ProfileCnt.exe is part of TrenDnet Wireless card.
    and the path is C:\Program Files\TRENDnet\TEW-42UB\ProfileCnt.exe

Publisher TRENDnet

Web site TRENDnet | Networks People Trust

If ProfileCnt.exe part of TrenDnet Wireless card. I would suggest you uninstall and reinstall
    your TrenDnet Wireless card. But first make sure you download the latest drivers for that
    card from the website above.

Have you done a search for the file on your PC to see were it resides?
    If so what program is it part of.
    You could also check event viewer for more information.
    If you right click My Computer and select Manage now in that window
    click on the + beside Event Viewer and select Application.
    Now in the right hand pane can you see any red error that refers to ProfileCnt.exe
    If you can double click on it the window that opens up will give you more information on the
    error and a link to Microsoft where they may offer a solution to your problem.

Please post back with any information or if you need help with any of the above

Jim

5. autumnfrigger

I uninstalled and reinstalled this morning and that seems to have taken care of the problem. I restarted the computer a couple of times just to be sure. Thank you for your help!

6. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Thanks for getting back and glad to see its sorted:)

When you say you uninstalled and reinstalled
    Was that the TrenDnet Wireless card?

I only ask you clarify in case anyone has a similar problems
    and are searching for an answer.

Jim