1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delated something .. now comp won't start????

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by em05, Feb 21, 2010.

1. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

Have been trying to clear out stuff on my computer as the drive is almost full!, yesterday anti virus picked up a virus, have posted on virus forum about how to delate it. have had a reply but now cannot get computer to start .

it goes to the start up screens where it says loading boot from floopy etc, then just says no signal and starts to re-boot again, everytime getting to the same screen before starting over again??

What have I done wrong????

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Techie7 New Member

Are you trying to re-install XP Em?

3. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

No just trying to turn computer on, not trying to re-install.

4. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Techie7 New Member

Can you get into Safe Mode by tapping F8 on boot up and do you have your XP disk to hand?

5. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

I can get into safe mode, but dont have disc to hand

6. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

When you get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu (aka Safe Mode Menu), select Last know configuration that worked., see if that gets you going again.

7. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

Have just done that and it still doesn't get me in, I have now found the XP discs though.

8. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Now you have XP Disc you can SFC (System File Checker)

SFC check all your System File for errors and repairs and problem files found.

Doing this will rule out the option that a damaged system file is causing your startup problem.

Go into Safe Mode and run SFC from there.

Instruction on how to run SFC here scannow sfc - LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

This operation will take some time to complete and there will be No report at the end the program will just close.

Jim

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

I have gone to the site you have said, but it is saying I have to go to the start up menu and click 'run box' I cannot do this as I cannot get into my computer? Can I use this programme without having to go to my start menu?

10. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

In your post #5.

You said "I can get into safe mode, but dont have disc"

In my post I said "Go into Safe Mode and run SFC from there."

Can you no longer get into safe mode?

Jim

11. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

Sorry didnt see the bit about 'safe mode', yes i can get into it, so will have a go now.

No I cannot get into safe mode? when I tried to getr it the same thing is happening just get the load up screens then they just keep re-starting?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  12. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Ok good luck:)
    Let us know how you go on and post back if you need any help or advice with SFC

Jim

13. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

Jim, Icannot get into safe mode thought i could but when i clicked it the same thing happen just keeps loading the same start up pages?

14. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

15. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

Yes this is the screen I can get into, clicked on the first one ' Safe mode' and it just keeps loading the same start up pages?

16. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

If you have the service pack 3 update one of the options is : -

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Can you select this option.

Selecting this will allow your PC to gives us a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)

With this enabled.
    If you PC crashes It will not just restart but give us BSOD.
    Can you make a note of the FULL DETAILS of the BOSD and post it here.
    This message will allow us determine what is causing your PC problems
    Once you have made a note of the details.
    You will have to press (not hard)and hold on the Power Button of your PC until it switches it self off.

JIm

17. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

18. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Right at the beginning you said "it goes to the start up screens where it says loading boot from floopy etc, then just says no signal and starts to re-boot again"
    When your PC restarts in a loop like yours is now doing now its usually caused by a BSOD.
    But you cannot see it because Windows XP disables the BSOD by default.
    All we are doing is enabling the PC to display the error message so we can determine WHAT
    Is causing the problem
    So to answer your Question? "if I do this does it mean that my PC is finished"

Absolutely not. All it will do is to allow us to see WHAT is causing the problem
    and make recommendation to repair your PC
    Enabling this option will not damage your PC further.

Service Pack 3 is one of the latest Windows XP updates so if you had Automatic Updates enabled
    before the problem occurred you will almost certainly have it installed

JIM

19. em05

em05 Techie7 New Member

Have just done this pressed enter it takes me to another screen like before asking me to select operaring system start.. Windows default.. pressed this and the exact same thing happens with all the start up screens?

20. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

When you Start the PC does the Microsoft Windows XP startup screen appears, and then the computer may restart. The Windows XP logon screen does not appear.

Is that correct

Jim