1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inserting blank disks causes pc to crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Fender strat, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Fender strat

Fender strat Techie7 New Member

The PC itself works fine. Disks with anything on can be read without problem. The problem arises when a blank disc is inserted as this causes the pc to crash.

Upto now I have:-

1. Tried several different types and makes of blank disks.

2. Gone into device manager and uninstalled the CD and DVD drives so that when the PC is switched on it will reinstall them as it boots up. It did reinstall the drives but the problem remained.

3. Reinstalled Windows from a restore disk, again the problem with blank disks remained.

4. Purchased a new internal disk drive but again the problem remained.

I am pretty convinced that the problem is somewhere in the Registry Directory but am unsure of what to look for.

Can anyone please offer advice or help?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi Fender Strat Welcome D-A-L

When you say your PC crashes does it just freeze ?
    Does it switch off and restart?
    Or does it give you a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)?
    If its the BSOD could you give us the full details of the error message.
    If there's no BSOD could you Right Click on My Computer and select Properties.
    Now select Advanced tab Under Startup and Recovery select Settings button.
    Under the section System Failure untick the box Automatically Restart.
    Click apply and exit System Properies.
    Now try placing a disc in your DVD
    Now if the error is caused by a BSOD the Blue screen will appear when a BSOD occurs.
    Make a note of the full error message (it will be a long message) then restart your PC.
    By pressing and holding your power button (not hard) until the PC powers down.
    You can then restart your PC in the usual way.
    If you are not getting a BSOD can you make a Note of the Time and place a Blank disc in your DVD drive.
    When the crash occurs and restart your PC now right click My Computer and select Manage
    Now press the plus beside Event Viewer and select System in the
    right hand pane is the any Red X Error or warnings around the time you placed the blank DVD in the drive?
    If there is can you double click on it. This will bring up Event Properties giving you details of the error.
    Can you make a note of everything in the error and post the details here.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  3. Fender strat

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your suggestion but thankfully I have now been able to rectify whatever fault had occured. I got into the registry directory by typing 'regedit.exe' then clicking HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then the + sign next to SYSTEM, then the + sign next to CurrentControlSet, then the + sign next to Control, then the + sign next to Class. I thenclicked {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC-08002BE10318}

Once here I clicked File in the upper left corner and chose : Export (this key). I exported this into My Documents as a back up. In case I need to back to this and Import it back.

Then, on the right hand side of the window I clicked UpperFilters, followed by Edit. i then clicked the delete option and OK'd this. I repeated this move to delete the LowerFilters and OK'd it followed by File and then exit.

I then restarted my PC normally and tried to save some music to a blank disc and the function operated correctly.

When I say my PC crashed I meant it started to reboot itself and went into the mandatory disc check as if it had been switched off incorrectly.

Thanks once again for your advice,

Fender strat

4. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi Fender strat

Thanks for lettings us know.
    Its good when you find the answer yourself.
    You know what I mean That 'Yes' feeling when the function operated correctly.

Jim

5. Fender strat

Thanks Jim,

I'll leave the info on the forum in case it may help someone with a similar problem.

6. AlexW

AlexW Techie7 New Member

Thank you so much for posting this solution. I have been looking for a fix for this annoying problem for years, took the PC to a computer shop and $200 later the problem was still there.
    This forum is awesome. This shows that prayer actually does work :) Thank you guys.

K YO