1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by 2fresh1, Jan 15, 2009.

1. 2fresh1

2fresh1 Guest

when i turn on my computer it says in a box it says owner and has an empty space for pass word what should i do?

2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Welcome to techhelpforum.

What O/S (Operating System)?

Have you tried simply hitting ENTER?

3. 2fresh1

2fresh1 Guest

when i saw owner and the empty space for password i automatically tried jus pressing enter yh it logged in but everthing was blocked i couldnt used certain things

4. Dan Penny

I ask again: What O/S (Operating System)?
    (Win 2000? XP Home? XP Pro? XP Media Center?)

Can you describe "blocked" please?

Such as?

Can you start in Safe Mode?

Did this problem just start?

Was the O/S fully operable before?

Have you recently installed any new software?

Does this machine have internet access?

If so, is your Anti-Virus protection up to date.

Do you run a Firewall?

Do you run any Adware/Malware/Spyware programs?

5. 2fresh1

2fresh1 Guest

it is a xp, when i tried opening any windows programs like windows messenger and documents that are in microsoft word something will pop up about wrong configuration. this is the first time it happened. i didnt try to run it in safe mode. i will do so, and if it does not work what must i do?

6. Dan Penny

Assumming No.

Assumming Yes.

Open a Command Prompt window. Type in chkdsk c: /r at the command prompt. It will inform you that it must be run at the next boot. (Comply, shut down Windows and reboot.)

When Windows next boots, run a file check on the O/S.

If you have an XP CD:
    Click START, RUN, type in:

sfc /purgecache

(This ensures that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and files which may be infected with malware, or are corrupted, are not copied from your drive. Some of the files which are restored/replaced may need MS Updates applied. If sfc replaces any such files, you will have to reinstall updates for those files. (If you have Automatic Updates active, this will happen automatically.))

Then type in:

sfc /scannow

Have your XP CD handy.

If you don't have an XP CD:
    Click START, RUN, type in:

sfc /scannow

If the above procedures don't help, what you may have is probably a malware or spyware infection.

Please follow the instructions here > HiJackThis prerequisites < There are important measures outlined here which affect and "optimize" the outcome of your HJT log.

Then post your log in a new thread in the Spyware, Adware, Viruses and HijackThis Logs Forum.

Post back with your results and any further questions.