1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by someguy, Sep 25, 2006.

1. someguy

someguy Techie7 New Member

I have a problem on my computer that is really @@@@in me off, i downloaded a software then when i installed it, a an error screen came up saying something like couldnt install or something then i clicked ok, after that the clock on the bottom right had all question marks instead of numbers. i thought it was some mal-ware of some sort so i immediately did a re-format, after my reformat i wanted to install some things like AVG antivirus, then all of a sudden i try to install Avant Browser it doesnt work, the setup screen freezes and im unable to close it, i restart, then install firefox instead, again the setup freezes. so i do a virus scan with AVG fully updated then after a few minutes the scan freezes and im unable to stop it, i can only pause the scan and im unable to close the screen.

So my main problem is that when i want to install most programs, im unable to actualy install them, only the setup window pops up then thats it, the screen freezes. Please Help

2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Try a System Restore to a point prior to the problem:

start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

What were you trying to install? What were the verbatim error messages?

If none of the above helps follow the instructions in this thread:

http://www.techhelpforum.com/showthread.php?t=3702

3. someguy

i've tried that also...didn't work, i've even done a destructive system recovery, that ends up failing also, mayb this is some new kind of virus that like embeds itself on the hard disk.

4. someguy

oh and heheh i was trying to install a cheat file that would help me get gold in a game called Gunbound, i downloaded it from...LimeWire hehehe..

5. jephree

What is the make and model of the computer?

An OEM XP depends on hard drive data so it will never totally format the drive.

Perhaps the computer manufacturer has other options.

Otherwise it is an expensive lesson in what not to download.

No harm in pursuing a HijackThis log. Nothing to lose at this point.

6. someguy

make is Compaq Presario, OS - Windows XP Home, yea mayb ill ask the company, and whats a hijackthis log?

7. ITGuyJames

ITGuyJames Techie7 New Member

Never forget about HARDWARE failure...maybe a good low level format may uncover some bad sectors. or some disk analisys utility from compaq.
    A clean install should NEVER have issues right off the bat...hardware..
    good luck

8. jephree

HijackThis logs can be analyzed by the Pros here to determine if any malicious software is installed on your computer. The instructions are here:

If none of the above helps follow the instructions in this thread:

http://www.techhelpforum.com/showthread.php?t=3702

Following ITGuyJames's tack you could try and run chkdsk

Try running Check Disk:

start Run... cmd

Type:

chkdsk /f

When asked if you want to run on next boot? Y or N?

Type: Y

And reboot,

This will check for and fix any hard disk errors.

My idea about malicious software was in regards to this:

9. ITGuyJames

ITGuyJames Techie7 New Member

hey jephree , sweet again, thanks for the detailed aproach.. for everyone else when you get these.. backup and reinstall, its way faster..
    allways backup !!!
    J

10. someguy

its weird, some programs that i couldnt install before, now can install, but the problem still remains there are still some programs that i cant install and some programs that i can install but wont load when i try to run it, any ideas?

11. jephree

12. someguy

i cant do that, since all types of scans i do WILL freeze, ive tried, spyware scaning from ewido anti-spyware, virus scan from AVG, spybot scan, any scan will freeze

13. jephree

Have you tried just running HijackThis?

14. jephree

15. Dutchie

Dutchie Techie7 New Member

Hi,
    Just a comment:I did a quick check of the HJT log.
    I won't comment on all of the items (there are people on the forum that are probably more qualified to do that :)
    but one thing stands out in someguy's post is the freezing of the computer.
    Some of the main reasons:
    1.I noticed you run Norton AV and all the Symantec stuff
    If anything will slow you down it's that.This is a major resource hog.
    2.You also run AVG at the same time.
    Don't run the 2 at the same time.You're asking for trouble.
    Either run one or the other.
    Better yet,un-install one (Norton?)

As for other reasons for freezing,not having enough memory is one.Also the size of your paging file is important.Too small and you could have problems.
    BTW,be aware that most of the scanning programs use a lot of CPU and memory,so when you do a scan,stop unnecessary services or programs.

16. someguy

thank you for all the help everyone. i dont remember the problem being solved. ofc now i have a new pc.
    but i forgot to say thank you here...

so.

thank you :)