1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is the best to buy in networking?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by robing, Jul 13, 2008.

1. robing

robing Techie7 New Member

Recently my Netopia DSL modem/router has decided to go on the blink. It keeps disconnecting from the Internet and I think that it is because it is overheating. So I have been on the lookout for a new one. Normally I would buy Belkin products as I have always been happy with them in the past but after reading some of the reviews of their wireless G routers I have been put off as people seem to be having problems with overheating and crashing under strain. I am looking for something with 2+ switched Ethernet ports, wireless G (I am not bothered about N as I only use the wireless when a friend comes round with a laptop) and ADSL capabilities. Could you recommend a brand name to me or even a model if you know of a particularly good one.
    All input appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. owen

owen D-A-L Team Member (UK)

You are always going to get differing views from different people depending on levels of effort, technical ability, etc so it is always hard to read in. I've found Netgear products to be quite reliable. My uncle has a wireless rangemax router and I had a version of this router without wireless capabilities that worked very well for years, causing me next to no hassle. I'm sure the reviews show that this is a capable router with the wireless capabilities.

Another brand you won't do wrong with is Linksys, owned by Cisco. I setup a Linksys router for a friend and he has had no trouble, although I don't have the same level of experience and satisfaction as with Netgear.

1 person likes this.
  3. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. robing

Thanks for the help from both of you. I do like the Netgear one that owen reccomended. I also look on the Linksys site and found a nice one (WAG200G). rokytnji unfortunatly your suggestion doesn't include a DSL modem but thanks anyway. At the moment I am leaning slightly towards the Linksys one as it is cheaper on amazon.
    Again thanks for your help.

5. owen

owen D-A-L Team Member (UK)

I don't think you will go wrong with either really. Let us know how the setup and stuff goes and which one you choose. And if you have any problems, do pop back :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Bear

Bear D-A-L Elite Member

IMHO Linksys is the best with Dlink running a close second.

1 person likes this.
  7. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

i would also reccommend linksys, as they are part of Cisco systems, who make the best stuff :)

8. robing

Hi,
    Thanks again for all of your comments. I purchased the Linksys WAG200G. It was easy enough to set up. (I didn't bother with the CD that came with it as a lot of the reviews that I read sad it was a waste of time and just to set it up using the browser interface.) It seems fine apart from the fact that when I came to shut my computer down, I went to turn it off and found that there was no off switch which was something that I wasn't looking for when I bought it, I just naturally presumed it had one. It is a bit of a nuisance as it means that I have to unplug it.
    Thanks again for all your help.

9. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

yeh the BT wireless ones dont have a switch either :(