1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! DVI Adaptor dims screen :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by penguinpaul, Jul 12, 2008.

1. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

I have a mobo with an onboard ATi X1200 (which is rubbish).
    It has a vga and a dvi port, and I have ATi Catalyst thing installed..
    I bought an adaptor for DVi to VGA, so I could have my monitor connected though VGA, and my projector connected with DVI using the adaptor. As soon as I plug in the adaptor, the screen dims, and is slightly blurred. This happens on both monitor and projector.
    The catalyst control center does not detect another monitor, so the projector is just mirroring the monitor. If i disconnect the projector, but with the adaptor still in, it un dimms, but is still blurry :/

What can I do about this?? Any ideas??
    Thanks,
    Paul

2. kevinzheng.101

kevinzheng.101 Techie7 New Member

Is it blurred on both screens? Try to connect the monitor to the DVI and adaptor and the projector directly.

3. penguinpaul

They are both dim, i cant make out if the projector is blurry as it is so dim. I tried connecting the projector via VGA, and the monitor though the adaptor, but the same thing.. :/

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I would try another adapter before tearing about anything else. Since any splice or connection between two electrical points adds some resistance, the adapter could add too much, or if the cables are less than good to start, the adapter resistance may be the final straw.

5. kevinzheng.101

kevinzheng.101 Techie7 New Member

Does one of the devices have a DVI port? If so, try an actual DVI cable.

6. penguinpaul

hmm, i dont think the resistance of the adaptor would affect the monitor connected directly into computer would you??
    unfortunately i dont have any DVI things, and while although my brother's monitor has DVI, I have no cable to use :/

7. Digerati

There is always signal loss due to resistance at any connection - even those made with the purist of materials, and the precision manufacturing.

Those adapters probably cost $2 to make - how pure do you suppose the raw materials are? How precise the manufacturing process? And how thorough the quality control is.

All too often lousy signal strength can be attributed to lousy quality or damaged cabling.

The adapter should be fine - but so should everything else. It takes little to remove it from the equation.

8. penguinpaul

im kinda confused.. why would the quality of the adaptor affect the picture of the monitor connected to the other port on the mobo.. the mobo has a vga and a dvi, but when i do this, the vga gets dimmed..

9. Digerati

Exactly! Why would it? Certainly one that does not have broken, bent, crossed, or disconnected pins probably would not. But if something odd happened when I plugged a $2 adapter made in some 3rd world country child slave labor camp into my expensive to replace computer, I wouldn't plug it in again! At least not until I verified it was good by trying another one. They are easy find.

There is no such thing as zero factory defects, or zero failure rates.

10. penguinpaul

urmm, i know what you mean, and I havent used the adaptor since, but why does the adaptor mess up the monitor which isnt even connected to the adaptor?
    is the adaptor messing up the graphics then??

11. Digerati

Dude you keep asking that - I am not saying the adapter is doing anything. If it is, then it because it is faulty. Until you try another no body knows! What I do know is when you plug the adapter into your computer, it "appears" to be affecting your graphics in an odd way.

12. penguinpaul

hey - ive just had a thought. when i plug it in, my computer doesnt detect another monitor added, but it just mirrors the screen. Is it possible that the graphics thing isnt a dual head or whatever they call it, and it is designed to be used with vga OR dvi..
    Is this possible??
    Its an ATi Radeon X1200 and its onboard

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  13. penguinpaul

follow up -

i plugged the adaptor into the thing, and the monitor into the adaptor, with nothing connected to vga, and its fine..
    Is what I said above likely then?

14. Digerati

If you are running one monitor from the card, and one from the motherboard, then that is not dual-head, which implies from the same card, using the same driver. To spread a single desktop across both monitors, you need both monitors to be driven from the same card, or two cards. Not a card and the motherboard graphics.

Do note that is good - on-board graphics uses a big chunk of your system RAM - cards have their own dedicated RAM on the graphics card - which also means you get a RAM increase when you disable on-board.

15. penguinpaul

I have no card.. I have an ATi Radeon onboard, which has a vga port and a dvi port.

i wanted to run two displays, one from vga one from dvi (using adaptor)

I have told it in the bios to steal 512mb from ram

16. Digerati

Then check your motherboard manual to see if it supports both at the same time.

17. penguinpaul

Manual :stuart:

if you could call it that :/
    its foxconn, came with no manual, just a big thing that opened up like a poster, showing what all the ports were :p

I will see if i can get a switcher, or active splitter for my projector :)

18. Digerati

Often motherboard makers don't include a printed copy of the manual because things change - even the same model of motherboards go through revisions. So you look on the utilities disk that came with the motherboard, or you download the latest manual from the Foxconn Download Page.

19. penguinpaul

foxconn only have that poster thing :/

it doesnt matter tho, i'll do without :)

20. Digerati

What is the model and revision number of your motherboard?