1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data loss? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by sashcon, Nov 10, 2007.

1. sashcon

sashcon Techie7 New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post and i really need some help

well i had all my date saved in the D drive, and today i found that all the files in the drive just disappeared and instead there is a new icon named "system file" which cannot be opened by double click. However, it does display a file size for around 4.12Gb ..so im guessing that the data is still there (HOPEFULLY) and it can still be retrieved.
    Im using windows xp and just got it reinstalled a week back. Also, before this problem i was not able to access d drive by double click.It used to open this new window asking me whether i wanted to open it with internet explorer or a list of other programs.
    Anyway, I didnt do anything about it but just used to open it by right clicking and then open.

Okay now can someone plz help me regarding the data issue...I made no back up for my data :S

2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Hello, and Welcome to D-A-L.

I'm somewhat confused by the wording of your problem.

"Im using windows xp and just got it reinstalled a week back. Also, before this problem i was not able to access d drive by double click."

Was this "access d drive problem" the cause of the reinstall?

Were you able to access the drive/files since the reinstall?

"well i had all my date saved in the D drive, and today i found that all the files in the drive just disappeared and instead there is a new icon named "system file" which cannot be opened by double click."

So you used to have "regular" folders and files on this D: drive?

This appearance of this "System File" just happened all of a sudden?

You haven't installed any new software or hardware just prior to the "System File" appearing?

"It used to open this new window asking me whether i wanted to open it with internet explorer or a list of other programs."

And did this work?

Was this prior to the reinstall, or after?

"Anyway, I didnt do anything about it but just used to open it by right clicking and then open."

Do you mean this "System File"?

3. sashcon

Yes I was able to access the file after the reinstall.
    The reason for reinstall was that the windows didnt start up.

After i got it renistalled...everything was working fine.. I WAS able to access all the folder
    All of a sudden these "regular" folders disappeared and a new system file with the same combined file size appeared. I had not installed any software or hardware prior to the problem

The problem of not being able to open D drive by just a simple double click was even before the reinstall .

"i didnt do anyhting about it..." im reffering to opening the d drive ... NOT the system file..

Its just now that when i right click and open d rive.,....instead of finding there folders i find a file named "system file"

4. sashcon

and the file name is basically a SQUARE :S and in lighter grey shade it says "System file
    4,194,240 KB" under it.

also, there is a yellow folder named " - " next to it and when i try to open it ..it gives me the following error :-
    "D:\- refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive
    on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly
    inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and
    then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been
    moved to a different location"

5. Dan Penny

This almost sounds as though the files have been "Indexed" by the system.

Can you take a screen-shot of this and post it?

6. sashcon

umm how do i paste the image here?

7. Dan Penny

Attempt your "opening" of the drive/files etc. Once you have the elements of such on your screen, hit the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. This will "paste" the current screen into your buffer. Open PAINT, click "File, New". Place your mouse curser in the blank area and right click and choose "Paste". Then save the file. When you come back here to post, click on Advanced, and just below the posting box you'll see "Additional Options", and within that, "Attach Files". Click on "Manage Attachments" and follow the prompts. Browse to the file and choose UPLOAD.

8. sashcon

the second picture is of me clicking to open the file named system file with a "square "

the third one is when i click on the folder titled "-"

Attached Files:

9. Dan Penny

Is the D: drive a seperate physical hard disk, or is it another (second) partition on your first (only?) hard disk?

Have you tried running chkdsk on D:? (Open a Command window and type in chkdsk d: /f)

What does Disk Manager report for the D: drive? (Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc)

Post a screen shot of that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  10. sashcon

errrrr...so i ran a chkdsk...and the filez gone and the d drive is now displaying more free space than before

11. sashcon

12. Dan Penny

There's two things you can try;

1) A file recovery utility;

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1

(I've used the above with success. Just save the recovered files to a different partition.)

2) A System Restore.

If it were me, I'd use the first option before a system restore.

"Is the D: drive a seperate physical hard disk, or is it another (second) partition on your first (only?) hard disk?"

You didn't answer this. If it's a seperate hard disk, disconnect the power and data cables until the recovery software is loaded and you're ready to start. Use D: as little as possible before you attempt a file recovery.

Once you get your files, run a thorough check on D:. It may be failing. If you know the make of the disk;

Hard Disk Analysis Tools - Major manufacturers