1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows live messenger disconnecting my network

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by gog, Oct 30, 2007.

1. gog

gog Techie7 New Member

Hey, im not sure where to post this but:

Im having trouble using windows live messenger on my computer. As soon as i try to connect, my whole network shuts down (the netork is a modem-->router--->computers, ethernet system.) It works on other comps on the network, but mine shuts the whole thing down. I have to turn the modem and router on and off to get the net back.

I have tried disabling firewalls, running "stuff" in start -> run and various other things.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    gog.

2. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

How strange. Try opening Windows Live Messenger and going to Tools > Options. On my Windows Messenger (older version), I have a Connection tab and that has options to specify a proxy server, etc. Check that the settings like this on your problem PC are the same as the settings on PCs that work OK.

Please let us know how you get on :)

3. gog

gog Techie7 New Member

Thanks for your help, both the working WLM and my one have nothing checked. When i run the connection troubleshooter everything (bar the wireless) is "ticked" and progress is completed.

Although it does say "you are currently not connected to the .NET messenger service. in the connection tab.

I hope we can fix this,

Gog.

4. gog

gog Techie7 New Member

Interesting to note, i can log in on freshly created msn accounts, but not the one i want to use. I have tried deleteing the live messenger contact shadow folders and real ones. Still not working

/bump.